Notifications
Clear all

Prescription Acne Treatment (Includes Retinoids) Stopped Working?

MemberMember
(@jubilantart)

Posted : 07/26/2015 4:42 pm

I finally went to the derm at the beginning of the summer after spending ages 12+ with mild to moderate acne. I have whiteheads, blackheads, a little bit of scarring and rarely, cystic acne. A lot of inflammation. Skin type is oily and have it mainly on my cheeks and jawline. I used to have little flesh-colored bumps all over my forehead but since starting treatment those have disappeared but I still get some whiteheads on my forehead, nose and chin. My treatment prescribed was:

Morning: Wash with over-the-counter Panoxyl Creamy Wash (Benzoyl Peroxide)

Treat with Aczone (Rx)

Moisturize - Elta MD Clear

Night: Wash with Panoxyl

Treat with Atralin (Rx)

Moisturize - Cerave PM

So technically my derm just suggested both moisturizers to me but whatever I preferred. It wasn't moisturizing enough so I just started using my nightime (Cerave) one. It's ok, makes my skin a little oily though. My skin really need sun protection though due to these really drying treatments and I need to find one that does***

Been on this regimen since late May and it's almost August. My skin was dry, peeling, and burning for the first three weeks or so but I stuck with it. Acne got worse before it got better but towards the end of June my skin started to look so clear it was amazing. Only thing is that didn't last very long because now I'm breaking out more. I'm worried my skin is getting used to the ingredients (which is what happened with Proactiv) and now it will become ineffective. Went back to the derm and since I think it has done more good and my acne is improving she's having me stick with it but adding in the oral Rx Nicadan (1x a day) A diet supplement that is meant to lessen skin irritation/inflammation.

I've been on Nicadan for about a week but I'm looking for any advice or help. Thanks so much!

i

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/26/2015 8:15 pm

Give it till the four month mark then try something else. Not all retinoids are created equally - some will work better for you than others