Notifications
Clear all

Should I Stay Off Accutane? 1 Year 4 Months

MemberMember
(@skyline97)

Posted : 06/27/2015 5:40 am

Hello now i started accutane in 2014 February within about 6-8 months it pretty much cleared up all my acne but left me with reddness scars and inflammatory which a year on nothing at all has really changed redness have gone away scars have faded nothing new for a year no new acne nothing really changed/changes

now its a 1 year and 4 months on i went on hoildays not long ago and stopped accutane a week before so it was 2 weeks off accutane and i notcied when i came home that my inflammatory had gone down the most it ever has for a year while being on accutane so i've decided to give it another 1-2 weeks to see how much it will go down, What i'm worried about is if i stay off it for to long 1 month + then decide to go back on it, will i have to go through that insane breakout when starting accutane again? That's why i need some serious help..

Please don't say "talk to you're derm" there is only 1-2 in my whole state and i honestly believe my derm knew i should of got of this 6 months or a year ago when all my acne was cleared up, But he would rather keep me on it for years and years he said if i go off accutane all the inflammatory would scar, and the complete opposite has happened i would of never knew this without going on a hoilday and probably would of been on this for another year and year and year....

So if someone could please fill me in about the breakout if i started after a month i just want to see how much the inflammatory will go down it has nearly gone down already this is amazing, And please correct me if i wrong but accutane is just for controlling active acne? accutane is NOT what so ever for/helping the redness/scars accutane does not help that one bit correct? I feel i should of been of this a year ago, At first i had NO inflammatory i only started to get it when all my acne cleared up and was left with red marks which i stayed on accutane then it turned to inflammatory i believe from accutane/being so dry and i should of been off it a long time ago..

Please please please give me some advice the pain from accutane is insane sitting down or stand up my back feels 24/7 pain, i feel so stiff i'm only young and i feel trapped in my own body like a 80yo it's quiet scary how sore a drug can make you i feel weak tired sore constant 24/7 at night it's pretty bad sitting on a lounge or bean bag most the time feels like a knife just sitting in my back my knee gives in, my heels where so sore from walking neck feels so stiff i think it's better for me to stay of it, Even though my derm said "i advice staying on it or you're raised/inflammatory will scar for life" which i've seen the complete opposite SO FAR.

Also does anyway know how long off acctuane untill i start to feel not in so much pain? Right now typing this as i speak laying on my bed my back is really sore just a constant pain i heard sometimes it can be permanent if it is i don't think i'll be able to deal with it for the rest of my life.

Please someone with experience help me out please 1 year and 4 months is a long time on this drug, And my derm just seems to want to drain money out of me.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/27/2015 7:35 am

I can't believe you're still on accutane despite being clear. Accutane courses are usually 5-6 months long and most people don't do longer treatments unless they're not clear. Stop taking accutane as it is not meant to be a continuous treatment like retin a. Your acne may come back when you stop or it may not but accutane is not meant to be a maintenance treatment. Once your skin and body has a chance to return to normal, healing should happen more quickly.

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 06/27/2015 9:11 am

This is a good place to get advice but it would be an even better idea to call a dermatologist in a different state. I think that if you called around and told them about your predicament someone would be happy to give you some advice, or if they say they have to see you in person it might be worth it to take a little vacation.

MemberMember
(@tfios22)

Posted : 06/27/2015 5:50 pm

I think it is safe to say that you've already reached your cumulative dosage and beyond, and you shouldn't go back on accutane since it has done its job to clear you up. You should get one more medical done from your family doctor to make sure everything is okay, and I know some of them are knowledgable about accutane, so also try asking them about their opinion if you are limited to only a certain amount of derms.

If you were to go on accutane (which you shouldn't) after over a month, I think that the medication would still be in your system since you had such a long course, and you may or may not experience an IB since you'll be "continuing" the course and it hasn't "reset" yet, if that makes sense.

Honestly, I don't agree with your derm at all. Accutane slows down the body's ability to heal itself, and once it leaves your system, your inflammation will improve significantly. After a couple of months, try getting on retin a (a family doctor should be able to prescribe this in your area, I hope) since it will help with the scarring.

For your aches and pains, drink tons and tons of water and eat healthy nutritious food. Get all the vitamin D, and essential amino acids that you can! I don't know how long your body will take to return to normal, but after 2 or 3 months you should notice some improvement.

Follow your gut feeling, if you don't want to continue taking accutane and you're pleased with the results, stop taking it.

MemberMember
(@orlando158)

Posted : 06/27/2015 10:02 pm

Do you realize Isotretinoin was not designed for acne?

It was made for CHEMOTHERAPY in cancer patients.
IT CAN MESS YOU UP BAD.
Do you realize you can cause serious damage to your endocrine system?
Im talking about hormone levels, drastically reduced testosterone, increased estrogen, growth hormone imbalances...
The original Accutane was taken off the market because of the amount of lawsuits that were made against Roche.
MemberMember
(@rittdk01)

Posted : 06/28/2015 7:57 am

IT CAN MESS YOU UP BAD.

Im talking about hormone levels, drastically reduced testosterone, increased estrogen, growth hormone imbalances...

The original Accutane was taken off the market because of the amount of lawsuits that were made against Roche.

Everybody and their brother on this site knows allllllllll about it (eye roll). U should obviously start with other meds and creams before accutane, which I sure the op did.

If u cleared up I don't know y u r still on accutane? I took it for 5 months 8 yrs ago and was 100% clear for the last 7 yrs. once I cleared up I stopped going to the derm and didn't think about acne again til last year when I started to break out again. U should go on retin a or something for maintenance instead of long term accutane use.

MemberMember
(@skyline97)

Posted : 06/29/2015 6:50 am

I can't believe you're still on accutane despite being clear. Accutane courses are usually 5-6 months long and most people don't do longer treatments unless they're not clear. Stop taking accutane as it is not meant to be a continuous treatment like retin a. Your acne may come back when you stop or it may not but accutane is not meant to be a maintenance treatment. Once your skin and body has a chance to return to normal, healing should happen more quickly.

Well the thing is my face is definitely not clear, But the active acne is gone away yeah.

Yeah i think i may stop taking it i think i will post some pictures tomorrow so people can picture what i'm talking about and i can get futher help.

This is a good place to get advice but it would be an even better idea to call a dermatologist in a different state. I think that if you called around and told them about your predicament someone would be happy to give you some advice, or if they say they have to see you in person it might be worth it to take a little vacation.

Yeah you're right i think i might get in with another Derm and see what he has to say, Thank you

I think it is safe to say that you've already reached your cumulative dosage and beyond, and you shouldn't go back on accutane since it has done its job to clear you up. You should get one more medical done from your family doctor to make sure everything is okay, and I know some of them are knowledgable about accutane, so also try asking them about their opinion if you are limited to only a certain amount of derms.

If you were to go on accutane (which you shouldn't) after over a month, I think that the medication would still be in your system since you had such a long course, and you may or may not experience an IB since you'll be "continuing" the course and it hasn't "reset" yet, if that makes sense.

Honestly, I don't agree with your derm at all. Accutane slows down the body's ability to heal itself, and once it leaves your system, your inflammation will improve significantly. After a couple of months, try getting on retin a (a family doctor should be able to prescribe this in your area, I hope) since it will help with the scarring.

For your aches and pains, drink tons and tons of water and eat healthy nutritious food. Get all the vitamin D, and essential amino acids that you can! I don't know how long your body will take to return to normal, but after 2 or 3 months you should notice some improvement.

Follow your gut feeling, if you don't want to continue taking accutane and you're pleased with the results, stop taking it.

Yeah that's true i will go for one last checkup but yeah i think with another Derm

thankyou also for the information it helped, Yeah i don't think i will go back on it i'm just worried about this Inflammatory if it will ever go down or go away that's the ONLY reason i'm staying on accutane from the bumps/imflammatory

I don't agree with my derm either that's why i started seaking advice elsewhere not just listen to his bullshit advice which i believe he just wants me on accutane for as long as he can because that's more money for him.

Thank you again for you're advice i might Personally Private messege you tomorrow with some pictures you seem really helpful would you be okay with that? So you can get a picture of my acne not just going by words, Thanks

IT CAN MESS YOU UP BAD.

Everybody and their brother on this site knows allllllllll about it (eye roll). U should obviously start with other meds and creams before accutane, which I sure the op did.

If u cleared up I don't know y u r still on accutane? I took it for 5 months 8 yrs ago and was 100% clear for the last 7 yrs. once I cleared up I stopped going to the derm and didn't think about acne again til last year when I started to break out again. U should go on retin a or something for maintenance instead of long term accutane use.

Because i'm not wear near cleared up i still have alot of redness/scars/inflammatory which i thought acctaune would heal etc i was just going off the bullshit the derm was feeding me thats when i took matters into my own hands and starting seaking advice/help because i had a gut feeling what he is doing to me is wrong and he knows it.

But i still have got alot of redness/imflammotry and it's really getting me down i'm still depressed about it, It's just HOPE in my mind that accutane will help the imflammotry but in my heart i know it won't most likely and i'll just have to accept and live with the scars which is really breaking me inside that i stayed on this drug for a extra frikin year for no reason...

MemberMember
(@tfios22)

Posted : 06/29/2015 4:29 pm

Yeah I don't mind, feel free to message me!

Yeah that's true i will go for one last checkup but yeah i think with another Derm

thankyou also for the information it helped, Yeah i don't think i will go back on it i'm just worried about this Inflammatory if it will ever go down or go away that's the ONLY reason i'm staying on accutane from the bumps/imflammatory

I don't agree with my derm either that's why i started seaking advice elsewhere not just listen to his bullshit advice which i believe he just wants me on accutane for as long as he can because that's more money for him.

Thank you again for you're advice i might Personally Private messege you tomorrow with some pictures you seem really helpful would you be okay with that? So you can get a picture of my acne not just going by words, Thanks

skyline97 liked
MemberMember
(@skyline97)

Posted : 06/30/2015 1:26 am

Thanks i PM'ed you if anyone else believes they have experience i would like to send you some photo's thank you