Notifications
Clear all

Stopping Birth Control For A Month

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 06/04/2015 7:30 pm

OK so unfortunately I was rather busy around the period of time that I should have went in to see a doctor and get a refill on my birth control so long story short, by the time I would have been able to do so I would have missed taking it for 4 days (the start of a new pack, after the placebo week) so I decided that that would be a bit too much for me to try to catch up on so I'm giving my body a one months break from taking birth control. This is the first time I've done this before, I was taking Marvelon and I plan to resume taking it when it's appropriate for me to do so next... I just would prefer to not totally screw up my cycle.

So for me I've tried a few different types of birth control pills in attempts to see if any of them would help my acne but I've had no such luck. I started taking it primarily for bad cramps that I would get and to prevent myself from becoming pregnant though lol. So my question is, do you think it's likely for my acne to become noticeably worse this month from not taking birth control? So far (after the placebo week) I haven't taken it for 5 days and *knock on wood* my skin hasn't broken out any more than usual... I'd like to keep it that way as well so if any of you have any tips for preventing my skin from breaking out more please throw them my way. I'm already on the regimen, I've heard that green tea can be good for helping hormonal acne though so I may try having a glass of that a day for the following month... idk, I just really hope my skin doesn't get any worse from having to do this D=.

Also I'm not an idiot and I plan on using a different form of contraceptive within this time frame and until I've been on a new pack of birth control for a week. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if my skin did clear up a little bit if I did stop taking birth control all together (it's hard for me to tell if it made my acne any worse or not) but I don't think I would begin to notice that change in only a months time... I'm thinking due to the fluctuation in hormones it would unfortunately probably get worse before it gets any better? Idk, someone shed some light on my situation please lol. Also saw palmetto, any of you guys had any luck using that to treat hormonal acne? Again, I don't really think that my acne is hormonal, more so just stupid genetics lol but I'm still worried the change in hormones may make it worse :/.

MemberMember
(@samb)

Posted : 06/15/2015 8:47 pm

OK so just to update for anyone interested it's been 16 days for me now without taking any birth control and surprisingly enough my skin is about the same lol. I really expected it to break out more from stopping it like this but it didn't, this just sort of assures my suspicion that my acne is not really hormonal at all or at least very much so I'm unsure as to whether discontinuing taking birth control entirely would help with my acne or not. Regardless, I'm probably going to go back on it at the end of the month like I had planned.