Notifications
Clear all

Questions About Accutane

MemberMember
(@kaaay1123)

Posted : 02/15/2015 9:55 am

So I start my accutane tomorrow on I believe 40mgs. Ive never had BAD acne, in middle school I was a dance major so I was working out so much I rarely broke out. Then once high school hit I broke out like never before. I wore makeup to cover it and it seemed to just make it worse. I never had cysts, but I would continuously pick at the blackheads and the blind zits on my cheeks. My dermatologist told me it was because my pores were clogged and the acne would layer on top of each other. He didn't help much so I left him because I was fed up with it. I went to a new dermatologist, and the first day I met him he prescribed accutane. I knew what it was because my sister went on it, but she HAD cystic acne, badly. The results were amazing, but Im just a little hesitant because I don't have cystic acne. Ive been reading and doing my research on it and I just have a few questions for the people who already have been through this that did not have cystic acne and could give me some advice? :)

1. I heard the first few months on accutane you flare up? Does that happen to everyone?
  2. I have very dry skin, and I know accutane makes your skin even more dry, so can someone lmk how bad your skin gets?
  3. How long did it take for the acne to be completely gone?

Any tips for getting through it please lmi as well.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/17/2015 10:45 pm

1) my skin flared up. It was like a really bad breakout that happened all at once. It doesn't happen to everyone.

2) it makes your skin incredibly dry. You will have to moisturizer heavily throughout your course. Start moisturizing as soon as you start. It's best to get into the habit before the dryness really sets in, around the third or fourth week.

3) I continued to break out throughout my course, and my acne cleared up completely about one month after finishing last July and I've been the clearest Ive ever been in my life since then.

Jenjen84 liked
MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 02/18/2015 9:49 am

I had mild persistence acne

not to scare u but never had cysts until tane

I had a bad breakout with each Tane dose increase

So right now headed into mnth 4

Had 3 fought periods so far

Still getting small daily breakouts that are small and heal quickly

My skin was very oily when I started tane

my skin is tight now but not flaking