Notifications
Clear all

Can You Take Accutane With Pasta Or Is It Not Fatty Enough?

MemberMember
(@juelzzz)

Posted : 01/15/2015 8:08 pm

Ive heard it often on this forum that accutanr needs to be taken with a fattty food yet in Accutane Roche's instruction book it says nothing about fatty food.

What if you were to take it with say a plate of pasta and tomato sauce (what I had for dinner tonight!) Or chinese noodles and rice? O r a soup like lentil soup? Does it have to be REAL fatty?

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/15/2015 9:00 pm

Ive heard it often on this forum that accutanr needs to be taken with a fattty food yet in Accutane Roche's instruction book it says nothing about fatty food.

What if you were to take it with say a plate of pasta and tomato sauce (what I had for dinner tonight!) Or chinese noodles and rice? O r a soup like lentil soup? Does it have to be REAL fatty?

This is a bit of a mixed up one, but first line versions of accutane such as "Clarvis" for example do need to be taken with a high fatty meal (They use bacon and eggs for example) to be absorbed properly. Second tier isotretinoin drugs such as "Absorica" don't need to be taken with as high fatty foods because it was designed to be better absorbed on a more empty stomach.

What version (name) of accutane are you taking?

MemberMember
(@juelzzz)

Posted : 01/16/2015 1:12 am

This is a bit of a mixed up one, but first line versions of accutane such as "Clarvis" for example do need to be taken with a high fatty meal (They use bacon and eggs for example) to be absorbed properly. Second tier isotretinoin drugs such as "Absorica" don't need to be taken with as high fatty foods because it was designed to be better absorbed on a more empty stomach.

Im in Canada. Mine just says Accutane Roche. Doesnt say anything about fatty food in the owner's manual though just to take it with or after eating food.

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 01/16/2015 7:20 am

Im in Canada. Mine just says Accutane Roche. Doesnt say anything about fatty food in the owner's manual though just to take it with or after eating food.

Then if I were you I would either contact my pharmacist just to make sure, or call Roches 1-800 line (1-888-762-4388) to make absolute sure that I was taking my medication correctly. If it doesn't say in the leaflet to take it with fatty food, then you're likely fine.. You're just one phone call away from a professional that can give you the correct answer though! (:

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/16/2015 4:02 pm

Hi - it's best to take isotretinoin with meals no matter what kind. With brands like absorica, absorption is less variable based on the amount of fat you take - but it certainly doesn't hurt to take it with a meal. Spaghetti with tomato sauce or chinese noodles is probably fine. Typically these meals contain fat from olive-oil or butter anyway.