Notifications
Clear all

Spironolactone Losing Effectiveness?

MemberMember
(@heroinparty)

Posted : 12/18/2014 3:12 pm

I've been on spironolactone for a little over a year (50mg daily) and it worked wonders for my skin. Within the first couple months my acne completely cleared up and stayed that way for a long while.

However, a couple months ago I randomly started breaking out again, just a little bit. Then all of the sudden I had a huge breakout all over my face and my skin hasn't been the same since. I'm still on the 50mg daily spiro but it appears I have the same acne as before, hormonal pattern painful cystic bumps along my lower cheeks and jawline, everywhere else is clear.

I'm not sure what to do. Should I try to get my dose of spiro increased? Anyone know why this is happening?

Current pictures attached.

post-441201-0-22960800-1418933534_thumb.

post-441201-0-93492000-1418933547_thumb.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 12/19/2014 1:38 pm

i would ask the derm to up the dose to 100mg a day. i think that is the dose that really works well but you also have to have a good regimen too. what are you currently using on your face? have you changed products at all lately? i love using AHA's they work so well to help keep those pores clear and i always use a toner after washing it helps to get rid of all that dead skin on your face but is a more gentler way to exfoliate.

if you are desperate get on a good antibiotic now to clear you up and then up the dose of the spiro. keflex works very well and for most people.