Notifications
Clear all

Saw Palmetto Vs Spiro

MemberMember
(@ellaruth8)

Posted : 12/10/2014 12:06 am

I'm a 28yrold female. About nine months ago I experienced a severe breakout all over my chin/jawline. Since then, its been mostly jawline and neck, those disgusting long-lasting cystic things. Gross gross. I was trying natural remedies because previous to nine months ago, my skin had been fine-ish using natural salicylic acid face washes, and I'm a annoyingly paranoid about antibiotics and using powerful topical stuff everyday. I've tried turmeric, apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, manuka honey... uh... probably other stuff. Finally, I realized my breakouts matched the symptoms of hormonal acne. About three weeks ago, I started taking two 550mg saw palmetto "vitamins" (??) daily, and within the first week noticed a huge difference. Since I started taking them, I haven't had one single cystic pimple, or really any break outs at all. I've been holding my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop... but three weeks later: my skin is nicely recovering from the pimples I had when I started taking saw palmetto but otherwise, amazingly clear. Before I started taking saw palmetto I set up an appt with the dermatologist. When I went to see him last week he pretty much snubbed the "natural" remedies and didn't recognize the saw palmetto effects I was experiencing. He prescribed benzaclin and spiro. I haven't even gotten the prescriptions filled because if saw p is working... why pay more for prescriptions?

SO. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight/advice/further info about the difference between the two, or long term effects of saw p, or if spiro is worth paying for just to, I dunno, ensure further face beauty? There seems to be little research or substantial information about how saw p works on women's bodies/hormones and the *few* mentions of this "brain fog" stuff worries me a little. I'm not experiencing anything weird, besides an increase in appetite which I'm rather positive has to do with the onset of F-ING WINTER. I'd prefer to take whatever is going to have the least effect on my body, and probably because of ignoranc/bias I'm rooting for saw p. BUT. I'm hoping someone can help me-- do I chuck the prescriptions, or do I take them in addition to saw p, or do I chuck saw p and start the others? Suggestions?

Thanks all!!!!!

MemberMember
(@nightmind)

Posted : 12/10/2014 7:41 pm

I don't have any answers but I was wondering the same thing. I am 29 actually took Spiro for 6 years and stopped taking it a year ago because of concerns about potassium and being on it long term. I think going off of it was a big mistake--After around 6 months, the cystic acne came back. I started taking 320 mg of Saw Palmetto 2 months ago and have also been drinking spearmint tea (and very recently started Inositol) I think the Saw Palmetto helped somewhat, but I still get cysts and am getting desperate. I am thinking of going back on the Spiro but don't want to stop the natural hormonal treatments (saw p,etc) and am worried about the initial breakout with Spiro.

My personal opinion is that if the palmetto is working really well for you and you and you aren't getting cysts, it may be best to just stick with that. I am not sure though. I also am concerned about the brain fog with Saw Palmetto. When I was on Spiro, I got dizzy sometimes and was really worried about potasisum levels, but my electrolytes were never off when tested. I had a pretty good experience w/ Spiro but am not sure about long term safety.