Notifications
Clear all

Starting Low Dose Accutane 10Mg Per Day

MemberMember
(@skirt)

Posted : 09/28/2014 8:28 am

hi people,

im a 24 years old female. who struggled with persistent acne for 11years. i got tons of whiteheads on my face and inflames pimples here and there. Tried everything.. the antibiotics, all the cyclines families.. doesnt clear my acne. Havent tried birth control though. but my dermatologist prescribed me accutane.

im starting my accutane journey today. my dermatologist prescribed me with 10mg a day together with erthromycin to curb with the initial breakouts.

Right now, im pretty worried about the initial breakout. The side effects, the duration and rate of clearance of my acne at such a low dose.Anyone had success with 10mg a day? i hope someone can provide me with hope.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/02/2014 6:42 pm

Previous research has shown that a nightly use of a topical retinoid (Isotrex or Isotrexin) is as effective as a low oral dose of retinoids to treat acneform disorders. This is not the case if you are on a higher dose (40mg or 60mg). It may take slightly longer to clear your skin but it does eventually clear the skin as with an oral retinoid. The advantage of topical over oral low dose is that it does not enter your whole metabolic system. It is active only in the target area. Of course, as with oral retinoid, it gets worse initially but, in like manner, clears the acne later with prolonged use. But it means no retinoid in your body.

With retinoids - oral or topical - the basic principle is PERSISTENCE AND PERSEVERANCE. It always gets worse. But very very rarely remains like that. It improves and eventually clears the acne. It does the same with Rosacea.

Isotrexin (manufactured by Stiefel) is a 0.05% Isotretinoin + 2% Erythromycin gel. From your picture, your skin does not look bad enough to warrant oral retinoids. You have a porcelain complexion!

Speak to your Dermatologist about this. See what s/he says.