Notifications
Clear all

Aqua Glycolic, Aczone, & Minocycline

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/18/2014 2:31 pm

This is the combo that my dermatologist prescribed at my first visit!!

I have a few questions:

1. Why did my doctor only prescribe minocycline for 2 weeks? My general doctor prescribed it for months at a time.

2. Can you put makeup (foundation or powder) over AcZone?

Any advice would be appreciated--thanks!

A little history on my skin: my general doctor treated me for acne with antibiotics and topicals for about 5 years. Today was my first time at an actual dermatologist. I like my primary care doctor a lot so that's why I never tried to see a derm before.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/18/2014 2:43 pm

i dont know why they would prescribe the mino for only 2 weeks sometimes it takes a few weeks to even start working. did you ask them why only 2 weeks?

yes you can put makeup over aczone. good luck with everything :)

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/20/2014 5:48 pm

i dont know why they would prescribe the mino for only 2 weeks sometimes it takes a few weeks to even start working. did you ask them why only 2 weeks?

yes you can put makeup over aczone. good luck with everything

Thanks for responding! I have another appointment with my dermatologist in exactly 2 weeks from my 1st one. Maybe he will give me a longer prescription for the Mino then if it's going well. Who knows, haha?

I kind of hope the derm puts me on Bactrim, though. I took that before with a lot of success and had no side effects. The mino makes me feel nauseous for about an hour after I take it.

Good luck to you too! Hope your treatment is working FAST!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/21/2014 8:50 am

yeah he probably will give you a longer prescription for sure just make sure you let him know how this is affecting you. yeah if your skin is looking better they will most likely extend the course at least for a few months. when was the last time you were on bactrim? i find that the more you are on the same type of antibiotic the less it works. just something to think about it. also are you eating when taking mino? if not take it with a meal and it should help the nauseous feeling.

thank you and my skin is clear its just scarring i am dealing with now but take care.

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/22/2014 5:12 am

Wow, so great to hear that you are clear! If you don't mind me asking--what worked for you?

I think I'm getting used to the Mino, because I don't really feel sick anymore when I take it.

I was on Bactrim about 7 months ago. You are probably right that if I continue to take only Bactrim I might become resistant to it. I feel like my derm did a good job in his prescriptions. He got really bad reviews on Yelp, but I decided to go anyway because that was the only place I could get an appointment! Guess you can't always trust Yelp.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/22/2014 8:02 am

yes it is and i have been on spiro since 2012. only thing that has 100% stopped my cystic acne. i had a bad breakout when starting spiro so after a few months i begged my derm for keflex and that cleared me up in 5 days. so you could always ask for that if the mino is not working as well.

i am sure the derm is fine they usually will try mino or doxy before going to the stronger antibiotics. yeah reviews are tricky i think its hard to trust a lot of what you see online.

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/23/2014 9:09 am

yes it is and i have been on spiro since 2012. only thing that has 100% stopped my cystic acne. i had a bad breakout when starting spiro so after a few months i begged my derm for keflex and that cleared me up in 5 days. so you could always ask for that if the mino is not working as well.

Spiro...I always wonder if my acne is caused my hormones or something else. I'm not sure if it is hormones, because I get it everywhere--not just around my jawline and mouth like many who have hormonal acne. Actually, my forehead is my most problematic area. Oh well--I think the aqua glycolic is helping. Thanks for sharing!

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 07/23/2014 9:23 am

yeah its really hard to tell my derm was like just try it and if it doesnt work then she would give me accutane but i am glad i didnt have to go that route. its crazy though suffering with cystic acne off and on for 16 years and this is the only thing that 100% worked for me. wish i would have taken it years ago. so glad the aqua glycolic is working though. i love glycolic acid it really does work so well.

MemberMember
(@elegantsurf)

Posted : 07/24/2014 4:10 pm

Yeah I am loving the aqua glycolic--I feel like I will be using it for a looooong time to come! My skin is soft, even though it's not really that clear yet.

I kind of want Accutane. I wish I could just take it and get this all over with because every time I come off antibiotics my acne comes back.

I am 23, by the way, so this is not because I'm going through puberty or something, lol. I know Accutane is extreme, but I wish my derm would bring it up. I'm nervous to ask for it.