Notifications
Clear all

Attention Anyone Considering Accutane/on Accutane And Doubting It

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 07/08/2014 10:23 pm

I just wanted to share my story and say how accutane was the single-handed best decision of my life.

I suffered from mild acne throughout high school, but got worse around my junior year. Once I started getting it pretty bad, I went on antibiotics. Let me just say this: ANTIBIOTICS ARE THE DEVIL. Speaking from personal experience, they temporary cleared my acne, but then a year and a half later it came back way worse. I really do think antibiotics create these immune bacteria which will eventually make acne much worse.

I went to many different derms and they all said my acne wasn't bad enough to go on accutane, so they continued to prescribe these pointless antibiotic prescriptions regardless of the fact that I told them I have been on them for 2 years (which is way too long). Yes doctors know more than us, but only YOU know your own body. I knew that antibiotics/topicals were not working for me.

Accutane can be prescribed for severe or persistant acne which shows no effect from other treatments. After I encountered a few ugly cysts that destroyed my confidence in daily activities, I knew I could no longer put up with this. I sought out for a derm who would prescribe me accutane. I found a very old dermatologist who prescribed accutane for over 40 years, saying that it is the only way to cure acne. Because of his high success stories, I decided to give it a go. He gladly wrote a prescription for it because he knew the trouble I was going through. I was put on a strict 40mg twice a day regiment throughout the entire 6 month course. Keep in mind I was only 135lbs at the time. I thought it was too high of a dose for me, but it really did provide tremendous results, as the higher the dose, the less chance of remission (something I absolutely did not want).

Sorry for the novel, so I'll shorten it up! The first week of my course, my skin actually got a lot more oily which was odd. I didn't see too much difference throughout the first month until the end of it, though. I started getting these real bad cysts, which pissed me off. After a few days, they got to a point where they could pop...I know popping on accutane can leave scars, but if they are ready to pop, pop them! They went away pretty quickly after popped and it relieves so much pain. Just never use your nails, because accutane makes your skin super fragile all over, so it is super easy to peel off your skin if you dig your nail into it.

My initial breakout didn't end until around month 3, so don't worry if things aren't looking up. To be completely honest, I didn't see any major clearing until month 6, to which I still had a lot of red spots. I did not get completely clear until a month off of accutane, so please give it a chance and if things aren't looking up, do not quit! It will work!

The dryness will suck, the red spots will suck, just deal with it because 4 months after finishing my course, it was hands down the best decision of my life. Chapstick is your best friend. Get aquaphor lip repair, it works wonders.

I even got dry skin patches, almost like eczema during my course. The secret to curing this is to get a super thick moisturizer, such as a tub of cetaphil, and douse the affected area in the moisturizer. I have had bad affected areas clear overnight from this method. No need for an additional derm visit.

The point is, if you are contemplating going on accutane, or thinking you need to quit because it isn't working, you need to know that it will work! So many people have been completely cleared and never returned to this site to tell their success story because they are done with the whole acne battle and never want to go back to it. You only hear of the horror stories online, so ignore them because they are super rare.

Right now I am 100% clear: face and body. Of course I still get the occasional pimple, but it is absolutely nothing to the ones I used to get.

Accutane is a godsend, so stick with it and everything will be alright!

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 07/08/2014 11:21 pm

Yeah i was on accutane! Dont regret it at all. Although is solved half my issue... which was the acne side- i was able to take care of the other side of the problem after accuane which is my rosacea! Both problems are bad... but boy oh boy i would not wish rosacea on any human- so difficult to treat

MemberMember
(@lilmama0922)

Posted : 07/09/2014 10:11 am

Hey! Thanks for the encouraging post!! I am on week 10 with accutane and honestly it's not that bad...80 mg and most annoying thing is chapped lips, dry eyes, and a bit fatigued but you can combat all those things. Didn't even get the dreaded IB. I actually went to work today and noticed that I didn't even have to put on concealer which was a huge deal for me!! Sooo yes only a couple more months and super excited to see my final results!!

MemberMember
(@kagt)

Posted : 07/09/2014 1:11 pm

I am almost 8 weeks in and just like lilmama - it's been great so far. Just a bit of chapped lips and dry patches and being tired at times. I was on 40 mg the first month and on 80mg this second month. Not sure what the doc will say next week about dosage at my monthly follow up. I weigh about 150 lbs -5'8" female.

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 07/10/2014 1:20 pm

Glad to hear guys! Yeah if you are seeing progress now, then there's no doubt in my mind that by the end of the course you will clear up completely. The dry lips are awful haha, stuck with me for the whole course and then a few weeks after that, but now they're back to normal :)

MemberMember
(@jabbathehut)

Posted : 07/12/2014 3:07 pm

I've been on it for like 1 month now.

Worst side effect (and luckily the only one) is definitely the nosebleeds I experience, other than the dry skin.

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 07/12/2014 5:50 pm

I've been on it for like 1 month now.

Worst side effect (and luckily the only one) is definitely the nosebleeds I experience, other than the dry skin.

Forgot to mention them! Haha I would get ALOT too, mainly because (sorry for the grossness) your boogers dry out as well, and they get attached to the skin in your nose, causing nosebleeds if its scratched, blown into a tissue, etc. I had so much friggin boogeys on accutane :/

MemberMember
(@raymond6837)

Posted : 07/13/2014 11:15 pm

So after you finish a cycle of accutane, you don't have to take it anymore? Will your acne come back after a period of time?

MemberMember
(@jjasd33)

Posted : 07/22/2014 11:40 pm

So after you finish a cycle of accutane, you don't have to take it anymore? Will your acne come back after a period of time?

It all depends on the person honestly, as of now for me (knock on wood) it looks like accutane knocked it all out for me in the first round. This is what happens with the majority of people, as my doc says, especially if the patient is given a high dosage because a high dosage leads to less remission in the future. This is why I say that if you can handle the side effects, go big or go home! I know I didn't want to have to do multiple courses of accutane, so I figured I would just stick it out for 6 months and go with the 80mg/day.