Notifications
Clear all

No Blood Test Before Accutane? Is This Safe?

MemberMember
(@xtorie)

Posted : 05/30/2014 12:00 pm

I just got put on 40 mg of Accutane by my GP yesterday. He told me to get a blood test in a month, and that was it. I've been reading a lot about it online and it seems like almost everyone else had to get a blood test before they started and once every two weeks while on it. I'm kind of worried that something will go wrong with my liver or cholesterol and my doctor won't know until it's too late.

I live in Canada, so maybe the rules are different here or something? I don't have to get pregnancy tests either.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/30/2014 4:53 pm

Strange. You realy should take one before as a baseline to make sure your liver is functioning the way it should. For the remainder of your course, a monthly blood test is recommended to track what accutane is doing to your liver. Definitely talk to your doc about your concerns

MemberMember
(@ayymama)

Posted : 08/02/2015 4:46 pm

I live in Michigan and didn't have to take a blood test before starting Accutane either..I'm glad I found this post because I too noticed nearly everyone had to get one before starting. My doc said I may have to take a blood test 1-2 times during the course of the treatment but an now worried something may go wrong...I wish there were more answers here