Notifications
Clear all

Nervous To Go On Accutane

MemberMember
(@vpexplorer5)

Posted : 05/13/2014 10:03 pm

Hello all! I have been suffering with Acne since I was in the 6th grade. I am 21 now, it has progressively become worse and worse. To the point in where I am about to accept to go on Accutane as my dermatologist recommended that I do. Although I turned it down the first time in deciding to go the antibiotic route. In which that did not work. This post is also the first post I have ever done as after years of just partaking in reading, on Acne.org I finally registered today! For years I have read product reviews, as well as peoples success and failures. It is a great feeling reading that people are free and clear from Acne. And for those who are still battling, keep fighting there is light. Back on topic, I have been in a relationship through my acne battle, as it has gotten bad to the point where my skin has become a problem in it. As it is always bumpy, red and literally an OIL FIELD! Which is very annoying, and gross. There is nothing that has worked for me, over the counter or BP or Dans Regimen. I have had little success and if anything things have become worse. Now I turn to everyone for some help, I am ready to get rid of acne once and for all. However I am hesitant on beginning for several reasons. One being, the IB I just got a new job and cannot afford my skin looking like crazy as I will always be around people. Secondly, I am worried that I am only 21 with my hair. I read people lose hair, which would be crazy for me at my age I believe and it has scared me, my Dr. put it this way. "You walk down the street and you have a 1 and a million chance to get hit by a bus" same thing he said applies with accutane and all of the severe side effects that possibly come with it. I really want to commit to starting to take it, however I want to read some advice as well as users who have taken it as well as hopefully had success with it. As this is my first post I would appreciate some feedback, thank you to all and best of luck to you all.

MemberMember
(@abi1791)

Posted : 05/14/2014 3:10 am

My story seems really similar to yours, I've suffered with acne since I was young and I've just turned 22 and I've had every type of medication and creams you can think of! And nothing has worked! Then I read about accutane and knew that was what I needed and luckily I was refered to a derm straight away! I didn't realise how serious accutane was until I had my appointment with the derm, I was so scared when I read the booklet listing all the side effect! I was literally going out of my mind with worry! But i thought if this is the only thing that is going to help me I've just got to get on with it, the sonner you get it done the better! Then you can be acne free and happy :) I know everyone is different but I haven't had many side effects myself! I am now on my third month, youl get dry skin no matter what. Mine hasn't been too bad, apart from a bit of dryness around my mouth and a tiny amount on my nose. I was expecting much worse! I make sure I moisturise my face all the time, and use other creams on the dryness around my mouth and that seems to have worked fantastic you can hardly notice it anymore. Also had a dry nose but i haven't had nose bleeds or anything. That's about it! Although I did have really blood shot eyes the other week I'm not sure if it was to do with accutane but I've never experienced that before! I bought eye drops and now they're fine. So don't worry just go for it! You never know it might not be that bad! :) good luck!

MemberMember
(@vpexplorer5)

Posted : 05/14/2014 8:21 am

Did you go through an initial break out period? It seems that if you are having a for the most part good experience with accutane which is positive sign. Thank you for all your advice as well as a bit of your story!!

MemberMember
(@francopld)

Posted : 05/14/2014 11:33 am

I am in the exact same situation as you. After trying almost everything,doctor recommended to start accutane. She told me that she never had a patient with severe or long term side effects. Or even hair loss.

After thinking for 1 month,i've decided to take it. My acne is leaving so much marks on my face and it doesn't seem to be stooping. I don't want any scars on my face.

Yes,the side effects listed on the medication are awful. I am scared as shit. But i think is worse if you are scared. Yeah,you need to be cautious and follow how your body reacts but don't be that paranoiac since you can cause yourself the side effects.

I'm starting it today,and my hopes are high. I know the risks,and i know the benefits.

I'm 17 years old,and for some reason my acne just exploded on my face in a period of two months. I can't recognize my face and it's ruining my life. I'm not the same i was three months ago,so i think this is the best decision to take.

MemberMember
(@missvania)

Posted : 05/14/2014 11:46 am

I was really nervous too, because I read all the bad things online... especially about the permanent side effects...

But I decided to go on it. And so far i'm glad I did! I'm on my 4th month, and so far so good...

I had mild but persistent acne, and very oily skin. The first month was difficult. I was afraid about the IB, and i had one. It was nothing really really bad, but it was bad enough and i was very self conscious. My skin turned worse than it was before i took the first pill. I had bad breakouts where i had closed comedones. And i had a lot... Eventually, around the 5th or 6th week, things started to clear. And eventually all my blackheads and closed comedones were gone. My skin was very soft... And the oily skin began to go away progressively.

The IB breakout is not the same for everyone, and it doesn't happen for everyone. So you can't take other person's experience for granted.

As for side effects, for me they're very manageable: Dry flakey skin (i found a good moisturiser that works very well for me; at night i mix it with jojoba oil), bloody nose (minimal), irritated dry eyes (when sometimes i spend a lot of time in the computer), sensitive skin, slow healing of the skin, some muscular pain (not too bad, it doesn't affect my routine), body hair grows faster, my nose pores are more noticeable.

My blood work is fine, my body's skin doesn't feel dry, i don't have hair loss, my nails stayed the same, no menstrual changes, no sexual changes (libido, lubrication), no depression, no mood swings (specially now that i don't have to worry about pimples and oily skin), no stomach or bowel issues.

The good things:

- i can go a week without washing my hair, and it stays looking good and shiny

- it's working!! last month i got a pimple every week, but they're gone fast. right now i don't have issues (fingers crossed)!

- my skin is soft, i could touch it all day! (don't worry, i don't! ;) )

- my blackheads are gone

- closed comedones gone

- have a few marks left, but they're fading

- oily skin gone! this is awesome. i don't have to worry about shine and blotting several times every day! i can use makeup and it stays the same all day! i just have to worry with flakes, which at some point can be more manageable.

I have a few months left, so i'm hoping things can improve a little. I'm just worried about the return of my oily skin after treatment, because i'm pretty sure that's the main reason about my acne... but we'll see.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 05/14/2014 6:05 pm

I'm on my 5th month of Accutane. It's the easiest thing I've ever done. My lips and skin are dry. That's it. My normally disgustingly oily hair and skin isn't anymore, and I'm complerely acne free. No hair loss, no menstrual problems, no liver or bowel problems. Nothing. I never even had an initial breakout. The acne just began going away and never came back. I don't have to wash my face anymore, no more topical medications, and I can use whatever product I want on it. FINALLY I can experiment with sunscreens and not worry about breakouts. My dermatologist said I could slather petrolium jelly on my face and I wouldn't break out. And with these dry lips, I've done it, and he was right!

My brother took Accutane as well, he's been off of it for two months. He's still clear, his lips are back to normal, and his skin is still a little more dry than it was before (he's happy about that). No long term side effects for him either.

MemberMember
(@vpexplorer5)

Posted : 05/14/2014 6:08 pm

Thank you all for your feedback it really all means a lot. I have taken everything into consideration and I believe I will go forth with starting the medication. I am just confused about a few more things, I noticed that MIss Vania stated that they saw an increase in pore size around the nose. I was wondering if anyone from there experiences noticed smaller pore sizes on their skin. My pores on my skin are very noticeable and huge! I attribute this to the oil slick I have. Good luck and thank you to all, and if anyone wants to add more advice or want to share more experiences please go ahead.

I am glad to see that many people have not experienced adverse side effects, that is very encouraging! (SendmeAngels) I am very happy to hear of you and your brothers success!!!! Hopefully one day I can write of the same!

MemberMember
(@abi1791)

Posted : 05/15/2014 4:00 am

I know some people get a breakout when they start accutane but i haven't myself. Nothing more serious than what I already had before anyway. I'm only half way through and my skin in looking great I have one or two spots but compared to what I look like usually I love it:) still 3 more months to go yet though!