Notifications
Clear all

Is Aczone Alone Effective?

MemberMember
(@stephaniem92)

Posted : 05/08/2014 3:55 pm

Hi there,

I was prescribed aczone about 3 weeks ago by a new dermatologist. He swears that it will do wonders for my hormonal/cystic acne and that I don't need anything else. Prior this I've been on Ziana, Epiduo and Differin, each for 16 weeks. None of these were effective at all. I have noticed that it does clear up cysts fairly fast, but doesn't do much to prevent them. I did some research and found that BP along with aczone can cause skin discoloration. A few days ago I started using a 1% salicylic acid astringent before applying aczone twice a day and so far it's not doing much either. I'm allergic to many antibiotics to that rules them out of the equation, so does any one have any suggestions of any OTC treatments/holistic remedies that I could use in combination with the aczone? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@rachaelnatalie)

Posted : 05/11/2014 4:33 pm

You can use Aczone in the morning and BP at night, or vice versa. It's just putting one on top of the other that can cause a brownish, orangish color. (Even then... I used to spot treat with BP on top of aczone and the brown color only appeared if I didn't let aczone dry for about 10 minutes first).

Personally I didn't think aczone worked for my face very well (used it for about a year)... Calmed the zits down but that's it. I've started using my leftover on my chest and back, and it has helped with that.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/11/2014 5:01 pm

I have to agree with the user above. Aczone by itself will probably not do much (my own personal experience by the way). The Bp at night and aczone in the a.m. may work best for you though