Notifications
Clear all

Am I Doing This Right?

MemberMember
(@rollercoaster)

Posted : 04/17/2014 8:24 pm

Hey so I went to a dermatologist for the first time and he gave me a routine to do but he didn't really give me the specifics of it so I'm wondering if I am following it right:

Morning

Wash face with cetaphil gentle skin cleanser (splash water on face, apply cetaphil, rinse after 30 seconds)

Dry face with towel

Wipe face with one Clindacin P pad (its small and circular, and I spend a good minute wiping all affected areas)

Night

-Repeat morning routine-

Put pea size amount of retin-a micro .04% tretinoin gel (I put this immediately after I wipe with the pad so my face is still a little wet?)

Apply CeraVe PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion (I put this on right after the micro gel)

So is this alright, timings and everything?

Haha I'm asking because it's been two nights so far since I've been using the retin-a micro gel and my face ISN'T hurting or peeling, and from what I've read that seems weird... could it be that I'm putting the lotion right after and it's offsetting the effects, or the pad, or something?

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 04/18/2014 1:37 am

Topic moved to prescription acne meds forum

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 04/18/2014 10:24 am

Yes, putting the lotion on right after can prevent the retin-a from fully absorbing. You will want to wait about 10 minutes after you wash your face and apply the medicated pad for it to be completely dry before putting on the retina (putting it on with a damp face can increase unwanted side-effects). Once you put on the Retina, wait another 10 - 15 minutes for the retina to completely absorb before putting on the lotion.

MemberMember
(@rollercoaster)

Posted : 04/18/2014 11:10 am

Yes, putting the lotion on right after can prevent the retin-a from fully absorbing. You will want to wait about 10 minutes after you wash your face and apply the medicated pad for it to be completely dry before putting on the retina (putting it on with a damp face can increase unwanted side-effects). Once you put on the Retina, wait another 10 - 15 minutes for the retina to completely absorb before putting on the lotion.

Ohh wow! So wash, dry, pad, wait 10 minutes to dry again, ointment, wait 10 minutes to dry again, then put lotion.

No wonder, I have been using retin-a for 2 nights in a row so far and no side effects like peeling, redness, burning, pain at all. 🙁 In fact I get more tingling sensations from using the medicated pad. So this has been because I'm not waiting for the pad and ointment to fully dry then

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 04/18/2014 11:21 am

Ohh wow! So wash, dry, pad, wait 10 minutes to dry again, ointment, wait 10 minutes to dry again, then put lotion.

No wonder, I have been using retin-a for 2 nights in a row so far and no side effects like peeling, redness, burning, pain at all. In fact I get more tingling sensations from using the medicated pad. So this has been because I'm not waiting for the pad and ointment to fully dry then

Yeap, you got it!

MemberMember
(@rollercoaster)

Posted : 04/18/2014 9:29 pm

OK! I followed your way tonight and waited in between and still no peeling of the skin at all (I don't even know what flaky skin is), hard to tell if I have redness or not, not too dry like I can still smile freely and the most irritation I've had was a little stinging and itchiness from the medication pad/ointment. It's been 3 nights so far. Also my mom said she noticed my face was looking brighter already. Is this normal lol? Do you think my acne will clear up in a week even? Or will it come back to haunt me after...