Notifications
Clear all

Chances Of Being Prescribed Accutane?

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 04/10/2014 8:14 pm

Ive suffered from moderate persistent acne on my face, neck, chest and back since I was about 12. I am now 23 and my skin is the worst it has ever been. Im also pale and my skin scars very easily.

The medications I've tried are:

Tetracycline

Trimethorprim

Duac

Differin

None of the medications have had any effect and if anything made my acne worse, particularly Differin even though I persevered for 12 weeks.

I am at my wits end. My skin has always made me feel self-conscious and afraid to go out anywhere without makeup. My grandma and her brother both had courses of accutane when it first became available which is where I heard about it (from my gran). She had acne up until her 50's and accutane was the only thing that worked.

So Im just wondering if you think I would be prescribed it? Oh and I cant take any other antibiotics like doxycycline or minocycline because of allergic reaction I had awhile back.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 04/10/2014 8:28 pm

If you go to your derm and tell them what you just wrote, Id say a 90 percent chance.

MemberMember
(@crab76)

Posted : 04/10/2014 9:04 pm

You just have to tell the Derm that you have tried everything. Antibiotics just kill the bacteria. They are not the answer. The problem is the oil and accutane will solve that problem. Just ask for a low dose of accutane. 20mg is plenty and it will spare you all the bad side effects. You might have to be firm with the Derm and say "this is what I want". :)

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 04/11/2014 6:21 am

Yeah I dont think ill need a high dosage or a long course. I never expected at 23 to have worse skin than when I was 13, I always thought I cant wait to be older so I dont have acne and wow its worse than ever.

I am concerned about the side effects though but my Grandma was just fine after her course and shes turning 80 this year.

Im seeing my dermatologist next week so hopefully there will be a positive outcome, I am tired of battling my skin 24/7.