Notifications
Clear all

Quick Question About Isotretinoin

MemberMember
(@joey231)

Posted : 02/28/2014 10:22 am

Hello there..Today I am taking my first pill of isotretinin 20mg . My question is, shall I start moisturizing right away? Or shall I wait a bit? As far as I know, it takes a bit for the dryness to show up. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@joy4ever)

Posted : 02/28/2014 11:29 am

I just started moisturizing when my face became dry. Before it got dry it was very oily, so i didn't even want it to look more oily.. :)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/28/2014 11:41 am

It's up to you (it will start getting dry either way), but I stopped all active ingredients and started moisturizing right away. I was more oily for the first few days, but I think it really helped prevent my skin from over-drying once that side-effect started. For me, the dryness wasn't gradual, it happened pretty much over-night. I feel like if I hadn't been moisturizing, I would have suffered for it.

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 03/01/2014 3:21 pm

This is my experience: one day, about a week or two in, you wake up and think "holy sh*t, my face is all flaky - where the heck did that come from?", and then you start to use more moisturizer.

:)

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/01/2014 5:21 pm

Hello there..Today I am taking my first pill of isotretinin 20mg . My question is, shall I start moisturizing right away? Or shall I wait a bit? As far as I know, it takes a bit for the dryness to show up. Thank you.

Yes! You must protect your skin from water loss and sun damage.

Most moisturizers contain occlusives. Occlusives provide a barrier for your skin. That means the dryness stays out, and the moisture stays in your skin.

You will be more sensitive to the sun at this time, and your skin won't be able to replenish your natural moisturizing factors (NMF) as quickly or efficiently.

And that you don't want to wake up to dry skin or bleeding lips.