Notifications
Clear all

Yasmin Contraceptive

MemberMember
(@daizrose)

Posted : 02/24/2014 2:26 pm

Hi would really love some reassurance here!

I have bad acne around my jaw and lower cheeks and have suffered for 6+ years. I have been on the mini pill called cerazette for 2+ years as take antibiotics as well (lymecycline) for my skin. I have slightly high blood pressure caused by possible white coat syndrome (that's being scared of the doctor! Silly I know) and that's why I was put onto mini pill.

ANYWAY, a new doctor I have been seeing is aware of my medical past but has given me Yasmin for my skin and contraception because apparently cerazette is bad for acne which would explain how bad it's got when I have been trying so hard to keep skin clean and good.

But I am anxious about combined pills because of all these horror stories but I really want clearer skin and regular periods (I have crazy ones atm). Has anyone had a good experience on Yasmin and minimal side affects? This pill seems to get a bad wrap ! I do smoke and I know that is bad for bp and pill but the doctor isn't concerned really as she can see how much acne is affecting my life

Also i think cerazette has a bad affect on my moods and feelings seeing as I am not getting any oestrogen maybe that will be good for me and my well being?

Any opinions as long as they're not going to frighten me (bad anxiety about medical illnesses!!) would be much appreciated as everyone moans about all pills online normally!

Starting tomorrow and will see how things go I expect to take a while to settle down seeing as been on mini for so long.

Pls contact me anyone who can help! Thanks, Daisy x

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 02/24/2014 4:27 pm

Hi Daisy!

Yes, I have been on Yasmin before and cleared my acne about 95% save for the random, my diet was crap at the time and alcohol etc. I did smoke on the pill when I was much younger. The first time on Yasmin the first few months were really hard adjusting mood wise, my period was a little crazy and my boobs grew. Honestly nothing I couldn't handle. I stayed on Yasmin for many years and had great skin, no side effects. Had to change for other reasons.

Now back on Yasmin, this is my 2nd month, also on Sprionolactone (Yasmin has about 25 mg of this anti androgen). I am also on Doxy antibiotic to help with the intial breakout. I haven't had any side effects so far, I did breakout last week and many women say the 2nd month is the worst and by the 3rd/4th month they are clear. I am in my 3rd month of spiro and things are calming down.

Hi would really love some reassurance here!

I have bad acne around my jaw and lower cheeks and have suffered for 6+ years. I have been on the mini pill called cerazette for 2+ years as take antibiotics as well (lymecycline) for my skin. I have slightly high blood pressure caused by possible white coat syndrome (that's being scared of the doctor! Silly I know) and that's why I was put onto mini pill.

ANYWAY, a new doctor I have been seeing is aware of my medical past but has given me Yasmin for my skin and contraception because apparently cerazette is bad for acne which would explain how bad it's got when I have been trying so hard to keep skin clean and good.

But I am anxious about combined pills because of all these horror stories but I really want clearer skin and regular periods (I have crazy ones atm). Has anyone had a good experience on Yasmin and minimal side affects? This pill seems to get a bad wrap ! I do smoke and I know that is bad for bp and pill but the doctor isn't concerned really as she can see how much acne is affecting my life

Also i think cerazette has a bad affect on my moods and feelings seeing as I am not getting any oestrogen maybe that will be good for me and my well being?

Any opinions as long as they're not going to frighten me (bad anxiety about medical illnesses!!) would be much appreciated as everyone moans about all pills online normally!

Starting tomorrow and will see how things go I expect to take a while to settle down seeing as been on mini for so long.

Pls contact me anyone who can help! Thanks, Daisy x

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:11 pm

I was on Yasmin when I was 17 and it was ok. The first couple of months I had side effects like mood swings and fatigue but after a few months my skin was doing pretty well. Of course, I didn't have very bad acne back then, but there was still a noticeable improvement for the few months that I took it. Ultimately I stopped taking it in less than a year because it made my cramps worse and I didn't like the moodiness. I'm back on the pill now but I'm taking Diane, which is great.

But I think you should quit smoking or at the very least smoke less if you're on the pill. I'm sure you know it's an added risk factor for blood clots and what not. And I know I've heard people argue that smoking a little isn't going to increase the risk for blood clots a lot or whatever...but in general smoking isn't good for your skin anyway, especially around your mouth area that's most exposed to it.

I think Yasmin only has a bad rep because it's one of the most prescribed BCPs out there so there's a lot more cases that are publicised. Don't try to look up too many 'Yasmin experiences' online because everyone reacts differently, and it'll make you super paranoid like me when I was searching up Diane experiences. :( Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@daizrose)

Posted : 02/25/2014 10:19 am

Thanks for your replies and after a sleepless night of worrying whether to take yasmin and therefore take risks i have decided not to take it.

In all i have come to conclusion that my skin is my skin and i will look into non-hormonal ways in which to correct it.

if i was going to take it, i would rather stop smoking as i cannot live in worry and fear of instant death by blood clot! I worry too much and it would cause me more anxiety.

In fact, having thought it over, i might stop taking the lymecycline and see what happens because i am sure it is causing my cerazette/cerelle to become useless and thats why i havent stopped having a period for 6+ months!

Has anyone stopped taking lymecycline and been alright? i stopped once for a few days and my skin was so soft and plump at first and then boom spots but i have a pretty intense skin regime now with topical treatments which might help the inevitable break out.

Thank you dunedain for being honest about the smoking, your right and its not a risk i want to take lightly and to be honest i think im done with pumping my body with hormones!

i'll stick with cerazette/cerelle for now and talk to doctor asap about other options.

Also, does any one know of an anti-biotic for acne which is less effective on the pill? is there a tablet which is not an anti-biotic which is good for acne.

Possible accutane is the answer, harsh, i know but sounds ultra effective!

Thanks!