Notifications
Clear all

What Is The Best Way To Lower Dose Of Spironolactone Once Clear?

MemberMember
(@tminsb)

Posted : 02/16/2014 9:24 pm

Now that I am clear and have cleaned up my diet I want to try to lower my dose to see if I can gain some of the water weight back (it's made me loose 10lbs I couldn't afford to loose) and if I can stay clear on 50mg or 25mg a day. Is it best to drop from 100mg to 75mg to 50mg or is it ok to drop from 100mg to 50mg?

THANK YOU FOR ANY ADVICE.

MemberMember
(@bradmanda)

Posted : 02/16/2014 10:49 pm

I am also weaning off and lowering my dose. (I was cleared with 100 mg, birth control, and a low-carb, dairy-free diet).

I am reducing my dose by 25 mg every two weeks, but this isn't based on any particular study or doctor's advice. Intuitively, I think it would be easier for your body to recover its hormonal balance if you slowly reduce your dose.

I went off spironolactone once already, and my acne came back approx. a month afterwards. I plan on also stopping the birth control and using DIM as my main, "medicinal" way to combat my acne.

MemberMember
(@tminsb)

Posted : 02/16/2014 11:28 pm

Thanks Bradmanda. You are right that it makes sense the body would do better with small adjustments. Have you had any breakouts since lowering dose? I have the Mirena IUD and want to get that out soon too. I have a little fear that my skin will go crazy again though.

What does DIM stand for? Sorry, I am new to this :-)