Notifications
Clear all

Switching Accutane Products Every Month?

MemberMember
(@lynn8808)

Posted : 02/16/2014 10:00 am

Hey! So I am currently on my 3rd month, 2nd round, of Accutane. I'm having so many more prescription related issues than before.

1st month- On Amnesteem 40mg/day.

2nd month- Clavaris 40 mg/day

3rd month- Zenatane 60mg/day.

The reason I've had to do this much switching around is because the pharmacy I go to switched to only carrying Clavaris instead of Amnesteem, then they didn't have the 60mg dose of Clavaris so I had to switch to Zenatane.

Also, I have to go without the pills for one week every month because of their schedule. And I'm pretty sure, doing all this switching around and being off of it for a week every month is going to hinder my progress, which I haven't seen.

I'm still getting active pimples, and they hurt pretty bad.

I feel like I'm literally just wasting my time and money, when it's not going to work because of all this.

I don't know what to do:(

MemberMember
(@kim28)

Posted : 02/16/2014 12:59 pm

Theoretically it shouldn't really matter as the active ingredient is the same. However, if you are concerned, maybe you could lengthen your course?

I can relate to your post in a couple ways. First, because I switched from Clarus (A generic brand in Canada) to Epuris (the Canadian version of Absorica) after my second month. This was my choice because I was having trouble with the fatty foods thing.

Second, because I was still breaking out at the beginning of the third month and felt like it was never ending. Accutane zits hurt so much!

I am now starting my fourth month, and things have really changed in the last few weeks. For the most part I have stopped getting active acne.

In speaking with my derm, she said it is quite common that people notice a real improvement around month 4, so maybe you are just not quite there yet?

My pharmacy does not stock the Epuris that I take now, and they have to order it in every time. But, it seems odd to me that your pharmacy will only sell certain brands. I have never heard of that before! Is it because they are all generics? I'm not that familiar with the brands you are taking because they all have different names where I am from.

Best of luck! I am on my second round too, and found it much harder than the first. Hang in there. If it worked well the first time, chances are very good it will again.

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 02/16/2014 1:00 pm

Thats odd- but anyways i was on zenatane for my whole 7 - 8 month course. Except my derm did the whole thing through direct success pharmacy and they just shipped each months supply to my home (i just had to send back something saying i had received it) but never had to go to the pharmacy at all which was nice.