Notifications
Clear all

Accutane...

MemberMember
(@mikejv15)

Posted : 02/15/2014 8:41 pm

It's my first week on accutane and I'm so incredibly upset. I have had moderate acne my whole life with nothing really solving the issue. I'm like most other people, I've tried everything else. From proactiv, to diets, to the natural method of clearing skin and everything in between. Absolutely nothing has worked. Period. But I'm breaking out soooo badly right now. This is the worst initial breakout ever. I have atleast 50+ zits on my face as of now, and it looks about 1000x worse than it ever has. I'm afraid to leave my house. I've already called work and gotten a couple weeks off due to a lame excuse. But, I have to go to class next week and I'm not sure how I'll bear it. I just need some advice from my fellow accutane users. :((((((

post-99905-0-70440200-1392514854.jpg

post-99905-0-86589000-1392514886.jpg

post-99905-0-70440200-1392514854.jpg

post-99905-0-86589000-1392514886.jpg

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/15/2014 9:05 pm

Never used Accutane, but...

Never pick at your pimples! It might tempt you because they're so "small", and it would be a temporary stress-reliever but it is so not worth getting icepick or boxcar scars out of it!

Concealers won't work. They'll just make it more obvious because of the shadowing.

Actually, it doesn't look that bad. Some of it could subside by next week. At least you're not getting nodules or cysts!

MemberMember
(@enelson96)

Posted : 02/15/2014 9:12 pm

I got my initial breakout during my first- second week of accutane also. Like you, I've had moderate acne my whole life and tired a multitude of things to try and cure it. Accutane was my last resort.

Just push through it, is all I can say. And look forward to a future where you know that you won't have a speck of acne anymore, where you don't have to worry about breaking out just because you put your hand on your face, because you ate that pizza, or because you didn't wash your face after a night of partying or staying at your friend's house.

I'm now on my 4th week of accutane and my initial breakout is over. It is healing quite nicely and quite fast.

The biggest tips I can give you are: use moisturizer day and night, wash your face day and night, don't pick your face unless you have a pimple that you just can't stand and want to get it out of the way. Just to warn you, when you pick acne when you are on accutane, for me the area all around the zit I picked was SUPER red for at least a 1/2 hour after I picked it. I never experienced such redness before after picking a pimple. Also, it didn't leave any scar for me and the mark went away pretty quickly, but keep in mind that the zits I picked were already on the surface and looked like they were going to pop any second.

Sorry for such the long answer! I know accutane is tough. The side effects are plenty: dry skin, back pain, fatigue, etc. Those are the ones I've been experiencing the most. Just know you are going to get through it and you are not alone. :)

MemberMember
(@avada-kedavra-acne)

Posted : 02/15/2014 9:25 pm

stick with it. I had very mild acne when i started and got like cyst during the IB. Do not - Nott- pick them. you want to decrease the trauma during this time because your skin is so sensitive. I started my course during June and finished in october. Also your skin will get dry- but i think its best to only patch apply moisturizer on places that are almost raw. Doing nothing is usually your best bet. And drink lots of water!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 02/15/2014 10:11 pm

It happens. As others have suggested, you're just gonna have to go through this tough part. It sucks to high heaven but towards the end, it seems so worth it. Avoid mirrors and if you feel like wearing concealer might help, do it. Moisturize, be gentle with your skin and know that this is only temporary.

Good Luck