Notifications
Clear all

Problems With Tretinoin Cream

MemberMember
(@aluxeruzzo)

Posted : 01/16/2014 5:20 pm

So I got prescribed tretinoin cream .0375% and to wash my face with PanOxyl 10% morning and night, applying the cream at night. I've been doing this for 2 months and my skin has been peeling so badly ever since I started. It hurts and cracks when I smile, sometimes bleeding depending on how bad it is that day. I went in for a follow up appointment with my derm and told her about this issue and asked if there was another moisturizer I could use that would give my skin more moisture (currently using either cetaphil cream or cerave cream) and she said no and to stop using the cream for a day and then start up again. I did this and it did not improve at all. I was thinking that maybe washing with the PanOxyl in addition to the tretinoin cream is just too much for my skin because I'm really sensitive and maybe I should just use a gentle cleanser but my dermatologist also told me not to do this. Also, before I started using these treatments I had cystic acne as well as just red inflammed pimples, never white heads or black heads. Ever since I started using the tretinoin cream I've had tons and tons of white heads, I'm assuming this is from the "purging" phase but I was wondering when the initial breakouts stop because they are still continuing.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/16/2014 9:17 pm

takes 1-2 for purging to stop on third month results someone maybe just 1 month different for everytime

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 01/16/2014 10:27 pm

I personally would ditch the panoxyl, or if possible move down to panoxy 2% not 10%....try to find a milder BP wash

yes there is a purging period for sure, but drying is another matter all together- use a moisturizer, like cerave 15 to 20 min after the retin a

but the bigger issue is the wash, you really need to go milder

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 01/16/2014 10:43 pm

I thought ur not supposed to use any other drying products while using a rentin a

Try using purpose face wash instead . Panoxyl face wash by itself can be very drying. Stay away from salicylic an BP products . Ur going to end up burning ur face .

I also think that the aveeno moisturizing face lotion is more healing for dry skin. I have tried the ones ur using and didn't like them 2 much. Aveeno hydrates me better and it does not break me out . U should try it out

MemberMember
(@ayeaye)

Posted : 01/16/2014 11:38 pm

Moved to prescription medicine forum.