Notifications
Clear all

[Q][Pics] Should I Consider Accutane(Isotretinoin)?

MemberMember
(@depressionacne)

Posted : 01/12/2014 5:43 pm

Hello,

I am 18 years old and have been suffering from moderate-severe acne since I was 12. I have undergone treatments ranging from topicals such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, clindamycin phosphate/nicotinamide, tretinoin, adapalene, sulphur, AHA to orals like azithromycin, minocycline, etc. as well as a combination of several topicals and orals. Even homoeopathic treatment.

Regarding diet, I eat clean almost all the time. I avoid processed/junk food as well as other crap. Trust me, nothing works (I've lost all hope in treating acne "naturally" by adjusting diet.)

Is my acne severe enough to consider Accutane? (I personally think so, but my derm thinks otherwise, probably will consult another)

Also, anybody who has taken accutane while suffering from acne (with the same degree or lesser), please share your dosage and course length and general experience while on it?

EDIT: Pics Removed.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/12/2014 9:56 pm

Yes, I think so- especially if you have tried all those other things for a reasonable amount of time. What else does your derm suggest? I would definitely look into a second opinion.

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 01/12/2014 10:15 pm

If none of the traditional methods that you mentioned did not work, then yes I would say its time to give the acctuane a shot. You need to get your skin under control as quickly as possible to prevent any further scarring. I don't have a testimonial yet but if i do begin a course of accutane ill come back and report my experience.

MemberMember
(@joy4ever)

Posted : 01/13/2014 2:01 am

I would say you should go for accutane and GL :)

MemberMember
(@depressionacne)

Posted : 01/13/2014 4:54 am

Also, I would like to mention that I was diagnosed with "adjustment disorder with emotional disturbance" nearly half a year ago and have been on medication {Zyprexa, Klonopin, Lexapro in the beginning; presently, Zyprexa (tapered down to minimum dosage) and Lexapro (antidepressant)}. This was the reason why Derm No. 1 did not prescribe Accutane. He believed that the risks outweighed the benefits. Derm No.2 said my acne wasn't severe enough for Accutane.

After reading several threads regarding the issue of antidepressants while on Accutane, I have come to the conclusion that there might be no drug interactions. I just want clear skin so bad and acne is a MAJOR cause of my depression which even led me to drop out of high school (I'm in the process of going back, right now) and the Derms just don't get how bad I need this. Also, I think I will consult Derm 1 and Derm 2 again and even find other Derms until I finally get Accutane prescribed. Maybe I can show them this thread!

I hope I will be treated with low dose Accutane, at max. 40mg ED { I weigh 78 kg) because I don't want to deal with any EXTREME side effects (erectile dysfunction, etc., but don't know how accurate these are). Also, I will combat the side effects one by one. For dry lips, chapstick; for dry skin, moisturizer; for hair loss/dandruff, ketoconazole 3x a week and minoxidil 5 p.c.2x daily; for cholesterol level, take Omega 3 supplement and drink LOTS of water, etc.

What is your opinion?

MemberMember
(@depressionacne)

Posted : 01/13/2014 7:40 am

Yes, I think so- especially if you have tried all those other things for a reasonable amount of time. What else does your derm suggest? I would definitely look into a second opinion.

My derm suggests sulphur at night and clindamycin phosphate in the morning daily and minocycline for a couple weeks. The other derm tells me to continue with adapalene {differin} and AHA face wash and azithromycin oral for a couple weeks.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/13/2014 8:34 am

One thing you can do is speak to a psychiatrist about how badly your acne is damaging your mental well being. If your psychiatrist agrees, you can bring his/her acknowledgement in writing to your derm stating the mental health benefits of clearer skin outweigh any possible harm from accutane. This might make them more comfortable with prescribing it.