Notifications
Clear all

Sulfameth/trimethoprim 800

MemberMember
(@melissagfenoglio)

Posted : 12/26/2013 12:45 pm

Love it!

Hi, I am a mother of a 17-year old boy who struggles with acne. We have tried all forms of antibiotics, creams and recently tried accutane, but had to stop aftr 10 days due to terrible side affects including headaches, isomnia and awful initial breakout. He was prescribed a new antibiotic called Sulfameth/Trimethprim 800 on 12/12/12 2x per day, along wtih Tretinoin (every other day). I was hoping this would clear up the initial break out from the Accutane and start to work by now, but unfortunately, it has not cleared up a all. Does this medication work? Does it take a while?? He has huge cysts and I feel awful for him. I thought his face was bad before accutaune, but would do anything if we could just get it cleared up to look like it did before we started Accutane! 🙁

Any comments would be helpful! 🙂

Worried mom,

Melissa (Texas)

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 12/27/2013 12:17 pm

I have used this antibiotic w/ much success. Also goes by the name Bactrim. If it is truly cystic acne he is experiencing, it could take up to 3 months to see the full impact from this drug. Ive used it for 3 years w/ remarkable results; was off it for approx another 3 years, and am currently using it again for last 9 months (albeit not w/ the same amount of success I had previously, but still very good). It is a very strong antibiotic, 1 gun short of accutane.

Just keep in mind that you often develop resistance when using an antibiotic for an extended period of time. Also, please watch for any side effects w/ this drug; although rare, some are very serious. Allergies to this drug are common.

I wish him luck

MemberMember
(@mastershake)

Posted : 01/14/2014 1:01 am

this worked amazing for me but turns out im allergic to sulfa so now i cant take it.