Notifications
Clear all

Bactrim/minocycline

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/05/2013 3:04 am

Was wondering what people's experiences were on Bactrim specifically? I've been on a clindoxyl/Diane35 regimen for about 5 months and my skin has only barely improved. The moments when I do have clear skin are pretty great, but with Diane I practically break out monthly and sometimes these can take about 2-3 weeks to full heal....which leaves about a 1 week window of clear skin before my period. I would say I have moderate acne - I have never gotten a cyst in my life (knock on wood), but it looks a lot worse because of my PIH, which I'm currently using Dan's AHA for. Otherwise I only have clogged pores and even when I'm at the worst breakout I only have maybe like max 5 actives.

Anyway, I'm planning to wait until the end of this year where it'll have been a full 6 months of the pill before getting any antibiotics. I saw Bactrim was supposedly the next best thing compared to Accutane so I'm interested in that. My doctor suggested minocycline but I kind of want to go straight for the kill because I have been patient enough! I'm fairly certain I assume I'm not allergic to the sulfa-family since I have taken Apo-Sulfatrim many times for UTIs and such...

Which would you choose, Bactrim of Mino?

MemberMember
(@ehal14)

Posted : 12/05/2013 4:11 am

I was on Mino a few weeks before developing allergic reaction to it. My derm then prescribed me bactrim, which I took for 6 months. It worked pretty well, although not exceptionally. But I read a lot of reviews saying that bactrim works really fast. However, it is considered one of the strongest antibiotics(my derm called it the "big gun") and is not generally prescribed to treat acne. You should probably try mino first, and see how it goes. It is generally prescribed for acne and it might just work as well as bactrim. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 12/05/2013 9:03 pm

I was on Mino a few weeks before developing allergic reaction to it. My derm then prescribed me bactrim, which I took for 6 months. It worked pretty well, although not exceptionally. But I read a lot of reviews saying that bactrim works really fast. However, it is considered one of the strongest antibiotics(my derm called it the "big gun") and is not generally prescribed to treat acne. You should probably try mino first, and see how it goes. It is generally prescribed for acne and it might just work as well as bactrim. Good luck!

How was mino...before you got allergic to it I guess, haha. I know it's the "big gun" but I've also read a lot of people starting with Bactrim and then moving onto mino/doxy/etc....so I was thinking maybe I could do that. And since I'm getting impatient, I don't want to wait WEEKS again for other antibiotics when Bactrim works so "quickly" apparently. :/

MemberMember
(@brandon1992)

Posted : 12/05/2013 11:34 pm

I was on bactrim for 2 years, I saw good results initially then it just kind of plateaued off. I stopped taking it sometime around July and august as I felt my skin was starting to clear up. Sadly it came back with a vengeance one month later. Now I'm back on it until I start taking accutane.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 12/06/2013 10:19 am

I had success w/ Bactrim for approx 3 years, 95% or better clear. I was taken off because I was on it so long. I slowly regressed to where I was pre-Bactrim and I was prescribed Accutane, which my liver couldnt tolerate. I was then on a combo of topicals that worked for another 3 years or so, and then I began to explode in cystic acne. A new derm put me back on Bactrim. Ive been on it for about a year. It is keeping the cystic acne at bay, but is not providing me the same success I experienced in the past.

Good luck