Notifications
Clear all

Retin A (Trentinoin)

MemberMember
(@concretebit)

Posted : 10/31/2013 7:54 pm

Hello, first post and am quite a forum newbie so hope this is in the right place :-)!

I'm hoping someone could offer some insight. I won't bore anyone with the details but after trying various medications my new dermatologist has recommended Trentinoin (Retin A) cream. I gather this isn't available in the UK, so I should point out that whilst I'm partly UK based I also spend quite a bit of time elsewhere with work (hence being able to get hold of it) ;-).

I've had some absolutely horrendous side effects from previous medications (though generally the ones in tablet form) and keep reading that this drug is linked with depression and weight gain (two effects I have had in bucket-loads with some meds and am desperate to avoid!).

As this is a cream my dermatologist assures me those effects aren't an issue but I would be very curious to hear others views on this.

Any insight or other's experiences greatly appreciated :-)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/31/2013 9:49 pm

Hello, first post and am quite a forum newbie so hope this is in the right place whistling.gif)!

I'm hoping someone could offer some insight. I won't bore anyone with the details but after trying various medications my new dermatologist has recommended Trentinoin (Retin A) cream. I gather this isn't available in the UK, so I should point out that whilst I'm partly UK based I also spend quite a bit of time elsewhere with work (hence being able to get hold of it) ;-).

I've had some absolutely horrendous side effects from previous medications (though generally the ones in tablet form) and keep reading that this drug is linked with depression and weight gain (two effects I have had in bucket-loads with some meds and am desperate to avoid!).

As this is a cream my dermatologist assures me those effects aren't an issue but I would be very curious to hear others views on this.

Any insight or other's experiences greatly appreciated whistling.gif)

Oral tretinoin, also called isotretinoin, also called Accutane is what you are thinking of.

Although they are both vitamin A deritaves, Retin A cream is really an entirely different drug. You will not get depression or weight gain from Retin A cream.