Notifications
Clear all

Just Started Accutane...am I Doing Anything Wrong?

MemberMember
(@justme29)

Posted : 10/25/2013 7:48 pm

Well, today's the day! I just started Accutane today. I was a little nervous, given the fact that the side effects are overwhelming, but I have a very positive outlook on this. My dermatologist told me to take 1 pill/day for 2 weeks, and then starting week 3, bump the dosage up to 2 pills/day. I like the gradual approach, as she said she doesn't want to jump right in, she wants to take this slow and steady. I currently have 20 mg, and next month when I see her she'll determine whether I should bump it to 40 mg.

Now here's what she told me to get (which I got) to help ease side effects:

For face wash: Cetaphil

Body wash: Dove Extra Sensitive (due to the inevitable dry skin)

Moisturizer/Sunscreen: Elta M.D 30 SPF

Body lotion: Amlactin Ultra

Night cream: Cerave PM

Chapstick: Aquaphora, Eos (using both at the moment)

Now my dermatologist said I can continue using Neutrogena Acne Body wash, for my back and what not, but I'm worried that my skin will get too irritated if I do so. I just don't want my acne to get worse, but then again I'm using Accutane right? Anyway should I stop using it?

Also, I take 2 showers a day. Obviously I wouldn't take hot showers on Accutane because of the dryness of skin, but is 2 lukewarm showers a day okay? I get a little OCD and I don't feel clean, nor do I feel my best if I don't take 2 showers a day (weird I know lol). So if I can't use Neutrogena can I use the Dove? She said I could but I just wanted to make sure. And can I use the Cetaphil on my neck still, like I do now?

It'd be great if I got some feedback, as I want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I'm just nervous in general using Accutane.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 10/26/2013 12:31 pm

Right off the bat I would stop using any body wash or face wash that has active ingredients to fight acne. The accutane will take care of that all on its own. You don't want to dry out your skin anymore than the accutane is going to. I am not a fan of Cetaphil products at all. I am a CeraVe fan personally . Instead of using CeraVe pm at night I would commend using CeraVe moisturizing cream in the tub. You will get so dry that I recommend using a heavier cream while at home to moisturize. Not a lotion, lotions are to light and CeraVe pm is a lotion. CeraVe AM would be good for day use. I used that it is a nice light, fast absorbing lotion with SPF 30 in it. So you could skip the SPF purchase and get a 2 in 1 product like I mentioned.

2 showers a day, that may become an issue. Water dries out your skin and accutane dries out every part of you body, inside and out (no joke). If your body can handle it, go right ahead, listen to your body though and if you start getting dried out and rashes stop the 2 times a day showering. The other thing you need to watch is you hair, it's gets very very dry. Lots of people need to use a dandruff shampoo and use a heavy conditioner to keep there hair in ok shape. You could also start taking biotin for your hair. Neutrogena is a great brand and should be safe to use while on accutane, neutrogena is dermatologist recommended in a lot of cases. And yes you can use the Cetaphil on your neck.

Body lotion you don't need to use anything crazy expensive like your derm recommended. I used Vaseline body lotion and it was just fine. If you get rashes it is usually from dry skin while on accutane in that case I recommend using hydrocortisone cream or ointment on them, also make sure that you moisturize that area multiple times a day otherwise they spread and get out of control. For your lips if you find those products aren't working well for you, bag balm is the best you can use. Walgreens sells it is a big green tin.

Take your accutane with a big meal, it works better when taken with fat. Also water water water. You can't drink anough on this medication.

MemberMember
(@justme29)

Posted : 10/27/2013 3:50 pm

Right off the bat I would stop using any body wash or face wash that has active ingredients to fight acne. The accutane will take care of that all on its own. You don't want to dry out your skin anymore than the accutane is going to. I am not a fan of Cetaphil products at all. I am a CeraVe fan personally . Instead of using CeraVe pm at night I would commend using CeraVe moisturizing cream in the tub. You will get so dry that I recommend using a heavier cream while at home to moisturize. Not a lotion, lotions are to light and CeraVe pm is a lotion. CeraVe AM would be good for day use. I used that it is a nice light, fast absorbing lotion with SPF 30 in it. So you could skip the SPF purchase and get a 2 in 1 product like I mentioned.

2 showers a day, that may become an issue. Water dries out your skin and accutane dries out every part of you body, inside and out (no joke). If your body can handle it, go right ahead, listen to your body though and if you start getting dried out and rashes stop the 2 times a day showering. The other thing you need to watch is you hair, it's gets very very dry. Lots of people need to use a dandruff shampoo and use a heavy conditioner to keep there hair in ok shape. You could also start taking biotin for your hair. Neutrogena is a great brand and should be safe to use while on accutane, neutrogena is dermatologist recommended in a lot of cases. And yes you can use the Cetaphil on your neck.

Body lotion you don't need to use anything crazy expensive like your derm recommended. I used Vaseline body lotion and it was just fine. If you get rashes it is usually from dry skin while on accutane in that case I recommend using hydrocortisone cream or ointment on them, also make sure that you moisturize that area multiple times a day otherwise they spread and get out of control. For your lips if you find those products aren't working well for you, bag balm is the best you can use. Walgreens sells it is a big green tin.

Take your accutane with a big meal, it works better when taken with fat. Also water water water. You can't drink anough on this medication.

Wow thank you for all the info!

So far it's been 3 days and I've had no side effects yet, however it could be because I take 1 pill/day instead of 2 a day. So really, I should probably experience the side effects by two weeks at the rate I'm going.

This may sound strange, but I almost want to feel the side effects just to have the reassurance that the pill is actually working lol.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 10/28/2013 11:51 am

I totally get what your saying about the side effects. It's nice to know the medication is working. You will see all these posts about people getting side effects same day the start the medication. When this doesn't happen to you, you get worried thinking "oh great, this medication isn't going to work for me". I think anyone who gets side effects that early on are either of exaggerating and it's all mental. Or they are having an allergic reaction to the medication. Those side effects will kick in soon enough trust me. My first side effect was headaches and all it took to get rid of that was water, and more water. I also noticed that I was producing MORE oil than I normall was. Which worried me, everyone else getting dry and oil production had stopped and the opposit was happening with me early on. Turns out thts quite common, so if that starts happening hang in there. When you are on accutane your body changes so quickly its insane. When I was on accutane I remember having pretty high anxiety. Mostly because when you are using this treatment, you have no control over your body. Things change so quickly, I would wake up with 10 whiteheads in the morning and no kidding everytime I looked in the mirrior I would have 10 more. The next time 10 less. It was crazy. Not to mention the aches and pains your body goes through. I had issues with my joints on this medication so after I would go out boating I would be climbing in and out of the boat and onto the trailer and all that stuff and afterwards I was so tried and sore. Walking up and down stairs hurt. It's basically like working out and the tiredness and soreness you experenice after a work out x10. Others have no issues with that, which is why I say listen to your body, do not push yourself. If you do it can result in being taken off the medication or doing harm to your body in the long run. Treat your body with a lot of respect while on this medication. Its a serious treatment.

It's manageable if you combat the side effects, and stay on top of everything. Problems grow quickly on this stuff, like rashes can spread like wild fire. So if you find you have one, moisturize like a mad man and go pick up some hydrocortisone and if that doesn't help control it call your derm office and they will rite you a prescription for a cream or ointment. Otherwise you are going to be very uncomfortable. Same with your lips. I got a prescription for lip ointment because my lips were peeling like snake skin, dont be afraid to ask for things from your derm. Also be honest, you may need to increase or decrease your doseage. That won't change your results at all it will just lengthen or shorten your course. How old are you? Are you male or female?

MemberMember
(@justme29)

Posted : 10/28/2013 7:31 pm

How old are you? Are you male or female?

I'm 16 year old male.

When you were talking about 10 whiteheads one day, and 10 less the next, are these whiteheads small? Or cyst like?

I'm most worried about the initial breakout, however I asked my dermatologist about it, and she says that by looking at my skin she doesn't think I'll have an initial breakout. That made me feel a lot better about taking Accutane because my face is pretty clear. I've never really had issues with it. It's just my neck (front and occasionally back), as well as my chest and back. So of course I don't want my face to get worse when there isn't a problem there already.

MemberMember
(@justme29)

Posted : 10/30/2013 11:08 pm

Bump...

Oh and I'm aware that I should take accutane with a fatty meal, but does that mean take it while I'm eating, or take it after I've finished eating?

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 11/03/2013 12:00 am

The whiteheads I am talking about were small whiteheads that were never inflammed or anything

MemberMember
(@justme29)

Posted : 11/10/2013 1:29 am

Just a quick update.

I finished my 2 weeks taking one pill/day and I've just taken two throughout the day. But I'll just talk about what happened during these two weeks taking one a day.

Well, side-effects wise, I feel pretty good. No depression/suicidal thoughts, and no IB (knock on wood none of those happen). But I have experience a little dryness. It's mostly around my nose by my nostrils and under my nostrils. I just put extra lotion on that area and I'm fine. Also, my skin seems a little tighter when coming out of the shower, which can be annoying. My lips have been normal/chapped. Kind of in between. Some days it'll be okay and other days it kind of burns, but I put Burt's Bees first and then Aquaphora and it works. But since it looks like I have lip gloss on so during school I use Eos which works.

I noticed I'm staring to get a little dry patch on my forearm so I'm putting Amlactin on it, and Amlacin does wonders for dryness. Too bad it's not non-comeogetic so I can't use it on my face.

Other than that everything's going okay. It's odd how your skin reacts to this drug really. I mean one day it look really clear and they one day it look a little clear, and it's just weird. But so far so good!

MemberMember
(@caitlinbellah)

Posted : 11/11/2013 12:17 pm

Glad to hear it's going well for you! I just started today so I'm hoping side effects come as mildly for me as they are for you!