Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - Horrible Ib Or Allergic Reaction? (Nasty Pic)

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 09/26/2013 11:03 pm

So I started taking accutane two weeks ago for mild but persistent, scarring acne. I started on 20mg, with the purpose of the low dose being to avoid / minimize the initial breakout. Around a week ago I noticed the acne around my mouth getting worse, and tonight it's not just bad... it's hideous. I guess I wouldn't mind if it was just cysts... thing is, EVERY single pimple comes to ahead sooo fast, dries up pretty fast as well, and ends up becoming surrounded by what looks like yellow crust. However, more often than not, after the pimple is dry and comes off, usually within a day it comes to a pus-filled head again. Everything just comes and goes so fast that I can't keep up. My face looks waaay different in the evening than it does in the morning of the same day.

That would be fine I guess, but tonight I got something which kind of scared me. An area to the left of my jaw swelled up significantly. I've never had anything like this before. It doesn't hurt, it's just big, raised, feels kinda numb but I guess that's because there's either pus or fluid inside that creates a "cushion". When I open my mouth I can feel it... it's a kind of lump.

My self-confidence was slowly sapping away this past week and tonight it was completely shattered. I look like a diseased mess right now. But more importantly, I need suggestions... is this indicative of an allergy? Should I stop the accutane? Should I press on? I would confer with my derm, but that will take time... the office phone line is impossible to navigate and an appointment is even more impossible to get.

post-135507-0-18328500-1380254626.jpg

post-135507-0-18328500-1380254626.jpg

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 09/26/2013 11:46 pm

Don't really see anything abnormal from the picture but sometimes pictures don't show everything. Could be an underground cyst forming. I have had nasty ones in the past that got very swollen and were not painful.

Honestly, you should call your derm first thing in the morning and explain the urgency. If they still won't take you, you should call every derm in your area and explain the situation. My guess is that 1 of them will see you. You can also use [Removed] to find a ton of derms in your area. It even tells you which one is available and when and lets you book online. If nothing else, this will give you peace of mind. If it is something, you will be in good hands. Until you get your appointment, I would stay on the Accutane.

MemberMember
(@j0sh)

Posted : 09/27/2013 12:35 am

While you're on Accutane it gets worse before it gets better. It brings everything inside your pores out. I was in the same situation as you when i was on Accutane. It will all clear up around your 5th or 6th month on it. Just becareful that stuff is a nukepill :/

MemberMember
(@ag3ntx)

Posted : 09/27/2013 4:14 am

Looks pretty standard, I've had waaay worse days both on and off accutane :P push through it you'll be fine.

MemberMember
(@budah)

Posted : 09/27/2013 6:27 am

this is called a nodule. It's a really deep cyst that is far under your skin. You just have to wait it out & DON'T stress. It's really important for your body to be stress-free. It'll subside soon.

MemberMember
(@wombat666)

Posted : 09/27/2013 7:48 am

Okay, thanks guys... I've just never had anything like this and was somewhat freaked. But since some of you guys have had worse, I'm not going to complain! :)

My main concern was that the swelling was an allergic reaction. But I popped the 'tane last night anyway and it hasn't gotten any worse, so it may just be a nodule after all.

MemberMember
(@kimbea24)

Posted : 09/27/2013 8:30 am

Mines was a million times worse than that I would not worry. You will be fine! Im nearly three months into my treatment now and its starting to work really well :)

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 09/27/2013 9:56 am

Looks normal to me as well. Just have to wait it out it gets worse before better but completely worth it