Notifications
Clear all

Initial Breakout? How To Tell?

MemberMember
(@miickey-mouse)

Posted : 08/12/2013 12:02 am

So currently I am on day 12 of Ro-Accutane with bactrim antiboitcs which I will be finishing at the end of this week. I was shocked how my face had suddenly been pimple free (red marks/scars still remain of course) as soon as I started Accutane. Then at about day 10 I started to breakout and now I have about 9 active pimples, they are in the usual spots though. From experience would this be an IB or am I just breaking out as I normally do? Also for people who have been on antibiotics, when you went off them did it affect you? They dont seem to be helping much hence I went on Ro-Accutane.

Another question - should I moisturize even if my face isnt that dry? I have just purchased a moogoo natural acne cleansing/moisturiser cream but unsure whether to start using it or to wait till my face starts peeling

Any advice is welcome

Thanks

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/12/2013 9:16 am

Yeah, that's hard to tell. It could be your IB. I got my IB around the same you did. What's your dosage? At first, I thought my breakout was from quitting BP. However, I have stopped BP before in the past and it wasn't this severe or as spread out.

And I also have been on antibiotics before. Their effects are temporary and it is not healthy to be on them for a while. When I got off them, the only differences were good differences (less GI problems). Which antibiotics were you taking? I assume you're off them now that you started accutane (if they were tetracyclines)?

And yes, personally, I would moisturize even if my face wasn't dry. But I have always moisturized. It helps with healing any pimples you have. However, I would only use a simple moisturizer, not one with anti-acne ingredients (does yours have tea tree oil in it?).

MemberMember
(@miickey-mouse)

Posted : 08/12/2013 11:10 am

Yeah, that's hard to tell. It could be your IB. I got my IB around the same you did. What's your dosage? At first, I thought my breakout was from quitting BP. However, I have stopped BP before in the past and it wasn't this severe or as spread out.

And I also have been on antibiotics before. Their effects are temporary and it is not healthy to be on them for a while. When I got off them, the only differences were good differences (less GI problems). Which antibiotics were you taking? I assume you're off them now that you started accutane (if they were tetracyclines)?

And yes, personally, I would moisturize even if my face wasn't dry. But I have always moisturized. It helps with healing any pimples you have. However, I would only use a simple moisturizer, not one with anti-acne ingredients (does yours have tea tree oil in it?).

Cheers for the reply smile.png Yeh I'm assuming it is, well the beginning anyway. Hopefully it doesnt stick around for too long, how long did yours last? I am currently on 40mg once a day for the first month then they will up my dosage. Yeah I also stopped the bp when I started (to be honest stopping it made my face look a lot more vibrant).

Yeh I did a course of minocycline and it worked wonders for about 6 months then I guess I became immune. I am still on an antibiotic called Bactrim (trimethoprim) which doesnt alter the effect of accutane. This is only because I was previously on bactrim for about 7 weeks to help my acne but that didn't work hence why I went for the tane. My derm is just letting me finish my course in the hopes that it may lessen the IB. Come to think of it I have had a bit of GI cramping, nothing severe though. It could possibly be due to the use of both antiboitcs and accutane. Im pretty keen to get off it (bactrim) but im sure I will break out once I do haha.

What moistureizer do you use? Cetaphil?

And here are the ingredients of moo goo. They are natural so thats why I assume it shouldnt be too harsh on the skin but still a bit skeptical.

Water (Purified), Squalene (Olive), Cetearyl Alcohol, Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grapeseed) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Standardized Green Tea ECGC), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Fractionated Coconut), Dimethyl sulfone (MSM Organic Sulphur), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Polysorbate 60 (Food Grade Emulsifier), Polygonum Cuspidatum Extract (Japanese Knotweed), Piroctone Olamine, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Allantoin (Comfrey Extract), Whey Protein, Coconut Acid, Palm Acid, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate (Stabilised Vitamin C), Tocopheol (Natural Vitamin E), Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract.

Also here is the link if you want to check it out for yourself. They have a lot of other products which I think would be of good use post accutane.

http://moogoo.com.au/acne-cleansing-cream.html

This cream worked great for me for about 2 months but then I started to break out again, assuming due to my excess amount of oil. Thought I would give it a try once again now that I will have dry skin.

I might contact my derm and ask her anyway, if not ill just buy a very basic moisturiser.

Kind regards

Mike

MemberMember
(@oceanic)

Posted : 08/12/2013 1:21 pm

Cheers for the reply smile.png Yeh I'm assuming it is, well the beginning anyway. Hopefully it doesnt stick around for too long, how long did yours last? I am currently on 40mg once a day for the first month then they will up my dosage. Yeah I also stopped the bp when I started (to be honest stopping it made my face look a lot more vibrant).

Yeh I did a course of minocycline and it worked wonders for about 6 months then I guess I became immune. I am still on an antibiotic called Bactrim (trimethoprim) which doesnt alter the effect of accutane. This is only because I was previously on bactrim for about 7 weeks to help my acne but that didn't work hence why I went for the tane. My derm is just letting me finish my course in the hopes that it may lessen the IB. Come to think of it I have had a bit of GI cramping, nothing severe though. It could possibly be due to the use of both antiboitcs and accutane. Im pretty keen to get off it (bactrim) but im sure I will break out once I do haha.

What moistureizer do you use? Cetaphil?

And here are the ingredients of moo goo. They are natural so thats why I assume it shouldnt be too harsh on the skin but still a bit skeptical.

Water (Purified), Squalene (Olive), Cetearyl Alcohol, Prunus armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grapeseed) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Standardized Green Tea ECGC), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Fractionated Coconut), Dimethyl sulfone (MSM Organic Sulphur), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Polysorbate 60 (Food Grade Emulsifier), Polygonum Cuspidatum Extract (Japanese Knotweed), Piroctone Olamine, Hydrolyzed Milk Protein, Allantoin (Comfrey Extract), Whey Protein, Coconut Acid, Palm Acid, Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate (Stabilised Vitamin C), Tocopheol (Natural Vitamin E), Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract.

Also here is the link if you want to check it out for yourself. They have a lot of other products which I think would be of good use post accutane.

http://moogoo.com.au/acne-cleansing-cream.html

This cream worked great for me for about 2 months but then I started to break out again, assuming due to my excess amount of oil. Thought I would give it a try once again now that I will have dry skin.

I might contact my derm and ask her anyway, if not ill just buy a very basic moisturiser.

Kind regards

Mike

My face is actually just starting to calm down from my initial break out and hopefully on its way to healing (knock on wood). So, my IB lasted a little over a week?

And yeah, BP makes my skin look so dull and it also made my red marks/scars more prominent. Which is one reason why I decided to go on accutane because I didn't want my skin to look dull forever.

I did minocycline too! For waaaay too long (though off and on). And, yeah, I have heard of Bactrim. Maybe you won't break out so bad once you're off it because accutane will be kicking in. Let's hope anyway! 🙂

As for the moisturizer, I use Cerave + Jojoba oil mixed in. It doesn't break me out and it does a decent job at moisturizing. That moo goo moisturizer looks amazing though. It has so many things that are good for acne-prone skin in one! I think it will be ok to use because there's nothing harsh in it. I might try it after accutane.

Good luck on your accutane course, Mike!