Notifications
Clear all

3Rd Time On Accutane .. Depressed! - Please Share/advise

MemberMember
(@cystyjam)

Posted : 08/06/2013 3:31 pm

Hello acne.org,

So I've tried and tried over the past 3 months to avoid turning back to accutane but my acne has gotten worse and worse each month..

I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow and I will give in to accutane since she has been recommending me to go back on it for a while now.. I've been resisting because I don't want to go through all the dry skin pains again just to know that it is only going to relieve my acne pain temporarily.

The first time I took the drug was back in high school so over 10 yrs now. My second course was back in 2011 i believe. Both times were very effective in clearing me up completely. But as you know, it does wear off.

Anyways without boring you with too many details. I'm wondering if anyone who has taken accutane more than 2 times has seen success in long term clearing. Maybe you outgrew your acne while on the treatment? Or maybe 3rd time's a charm as the saying goes..

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in me keeping a log of my third run at accutane.. We'll see if i decide to keep a log on here.

Thanks for your time!

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/06/2013 5:03 pm

What is your age? Sex? Acne severity/location?

Do you have acne associated with oily skin?

After your first two courses, did you use a maintenance therapy such as a topical retinoid to retain the improvement produced by Accutane?

post-145613-1306382695_thumb.jpg

(Click graph)

Good luck

MemberMember
(@cystyjam)

Posted : 08/07/2013 2:39 am

After your first two courses, did you use a maintenance therapy such as a topical retinoid to retain the improvement produced by Accutane?

(Click graph)

Good luck

Hey biggs,

Thanks for reading a replying. It always feels nice to receive a response when I post, even if it's just one.

I am an asian male and I turned 28 this year. My first course was basically over 10 years ago (I forget how long the course was taken for..), but it gave me excellent results with some control for lasting years. My second course was a short 4 month run about 2 or 3 years ago now and it cleared me up completely which lasted about 6 months before the acne came back.

I have always had moderate cystic acne that tends to migrate to certain areas of my face. I'd usually have 2-3 active cysts each week, and other fading cysts from prior weeks.Currently the cysts are flaring up along my jawline and right underneath the jawline on my neck and this is the worst I've seen it in years because it's persistent. I have 4 big pimples on my neck near the jawline and a few large cysts on the back of my neck and harline and some have started to appear behind my ears too.. it's quite unsightly and painful :( My skin gets moderately oily throughout the day, but is quite soft and smooth after I wash it.

After my accutane courses, I didn't use anything for my skin because it was basically 100% clear. I didn't know about using retinoids as maintenance, could you tell me more about it?

I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow to ask for my 3rd course.. I am scared of the side effects getting worse this next round. I'm always paranoid of hair loss with this drug too.. but my stress levels are at an all time high right now, I need to do something about my acne since nothing else seems to be working.. BIG SIGH.

Please.. if anyone has been on accutane for more than 2 courses and has experienced success, I plea for you to share your experience and advice for me. Thank you muchly!

Your fellow cystic acne sufferer,

Cystyjam

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 08/07/2013 2:49 am

Here is a relevant thread.

It sounds like you have chronic, recurring, moderate acne associated with oily skin.

Accutane is certainly the best treatment for this and it will clear you, especially given your past success with it. However, given your history, you may very well relapse later on if/when your oil returns, particularly if you don't implement a maintenance therapy, ideally a topical retinoid.

More info on maintenance treatment can be found

Good luck

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/09/2013 3:57 pm

(Click graph)

Good luck

Hey biggs,

Thanks for reading a replying. It always feels nice to receive a response when I post, even if it's just one.

I am an asian male and I turned 28 this year. My first course was basically over 10 years ago (I forget how long the course was taken for..), but it gave me excellent results with some control for lasting years. My second course was a short 4 month run about 2 or 3 years ago now and it cleared me up completely which lasted about 6 months before the acne came back.

I have always had moderate cystic acne that tends to migrate to certain areas of my face. I'd usually have 2-3 active cysts each week, and other fading cysts from prior weeks.Currently the cysts are flaring up along my jawline and right underneath the jawline on my neck and this is the worst I've seen it in years because it's persistent. I have 4 big pimples on my neck near the jawline and a few large cysts on the back of my neck and harline and some have started to appear behind my ears too.. it's quite unsightly and painful sad.png My skin gets moderately oily throughout the day, but is quite soft and smooth after I wash it.

After my accutane courses, I didn't use anything for my skin because it was basically 100% clear. I didn't know about using retinoids as maintenance, could you tell me more about it?

I'm going to see the doctor tomorrow to ask for my 3rd course.. I am scared of the side effects getting worse this next round. I'm always paranoid of hair loss with this drug too.. but my stress levels are at an all time high right now, I need to do something about my acne since nothing else seems to be working.. BIG SIGH.

Please.. if anyone has been on accutane for more than 2 courses and has experienced success, I plea for you to share your experience and advice for me. Thank you muchly!

Your fellow cystic acne sufferer,

Cystyjam

Hey Cystyjam,

I'm currently on my 4th course of isotretinoin and it is working well for me. This latest course is a mainteance, low dose course of 20mg per day. I am recieving little to no side effects and a gradual improvement of my acne condition. Please see my page for my story etc as I must have written about it a million times by now :)

Hope you find the solution

Regards,

Rob

MemberMember
(@cystyjam)

Posted : 08/11/2013 4:41 am

Hey Cystyjam,

I'm currently on my 4th course of isotretinoin and it is working well for me. This latest course is a mainteance, low dose course of 20mg per day. I am recieving little to no side effects and a gradual improvement of my acne condition. Please see my page for my story etc as I must have written about it a million times by now smile.png

Regards,

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the response. I'm glad your low dose course is working out for you. I just started a 30mg per day course, but I'm considerably lighter than you. I read your post and it's a similar story to mine (surprise surprise huh? the tragic woes of a cystic acne victim <_<). Anyways, I'm curious why your doctor deemed that your 80mg course was "not working" and pulled you off of it? Was it really not working? If so, I'm wondering why a lower dose is producing better results..? Did you ever try the maintenance treatment of topical retinoids after you completed your accutane as biggs suggested in earlier replies in this thread? I'm hoping that will be my answer at this moment.. but I'm a long ways to go before that day, so i'll continue to practice my patience.

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/11/2013 5:30 am

On 8/11/2013 at 3:41 PM, cystyjam said:
On 8/10/2013 at 2:57 AM, Samcro said:

Hey Cystyjam,

I'm currently on my 4th course of isotretinoin and it is working well for me. This latest course is a mainteance, low dose course of 20mg per day. I am recieving little to no side effects and a gradual improvement of my acne condition. Please see my page for my story etc as I must have written about it a million times by now smile.png

Regards,

Rob

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the response. I'm glad your low dose course is working out for you. I just started a 30mg per day course, but I'm considerably lighter than you. I read your post and it's a similar story to mine (surprise surprise huh? the tragic woes of a cystic acne victim glare.gif). Anyways, I'm curious why your doctor deemed that your 80mg course was "not working" and pulled you off of it? Was it really not working? If so, I'm wondering why a lower dose is producing better results..? Did you ever try the maintenance treatment of topical retinoids after you completed your accutane as biggs suggested in earlier replies in this thread? I'm hoping that will be my answer at this moment.. but I'm a long ways to go before that day, so i'll continue to practice my patience.

Cheers.

Hey,

In short I think my derm was a douche. I was starting to see results on 80mg, and found it tough going regarding side effects. I pretty much stayed in doors the whole 2 months, determined to rid myself of acne no matter what the side effects. I went back to see him as scheduled to get more meds and he decided that it wasnt working for me - I had a few spots on my neck, but this was due to shaving too hastily the day before, overall my skin was making progress and I just wanted to make it to the end of the treatment. I pleaded with him not to cut me off as isotretinoin was the only thing that has ever worked for me but he got short with me and said no. His 'plan' was to make me go cold turkey for a further 8 weeks and then 'reassess'. Needless to say within about 3 weeks of coming off I broke out badly. Furious, I demanded to see another derm for a second opinion and at much expense to myself. But I couldnt be happier I did. He was much more understanding and willing to talk through my issues - he is also flexible to whatever course I'd wish to take, high dose short treatment or low and long. I opted for the latter this time and I'm so glad I did!

I did do retin-A when younger but this had no effect on me whatsoever and I generally found it a waste of time. I more than happy to stay on a low dose of isotretinoin for years to come, as have some of my derms other patients with great success and none of the horrid long lasting side effects people are claiming to have been afflicted by.

Please feel free to drop me a message anytime if I can help you at all through my own experiences. In fact add me on FB if you'd like as I'm more likely to respond quickly! '*Removed*'

All the best

Rob

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 08/11/2013 7:21 am

On 8/11/2013 at 4:30 PM, Samcro said:

Hey,

In short I think my derm was a douche. I was starting to see results on 80mg, and found it tough going regarding side effects. I pretty much stayed in doors the whole 2 months, determined to rid myself of acne no matter what the side effects. I went back to see him as scheduled to get more meds and he decided that it wasnt working for me - I had a few spots on my neck, but this was due to shaving too hastily the day before, overall my skin was making progress and I just wanted to make it to the end of the treatment. I pleaded with him not to cut me off as isotretinoin was the only thing that has ever worked for me but he got short with me and said no. His 'plan' was to make me go cold turkey for a further 8 weeks and then 'reassess'. Needless to say within about 3 weeks of coming off I broke out badly. Furious, I demanded to see another derm for a second opinion and at much expense to myself. But I couldnt be happier I did. He was much more understanding and willing to talk through my issues - he is also flexible to whatever course I'd wish to take, high dose short treatment or low and long. I opted for the latter this time and I'm so glad I did!

I did do retin-A when younger but this had no effect on me whatsoever and I generally found it a waste of time. I more than happy to stay on a low dose of isotretinoin for years to come, as have some of my derms other patients with great success and none of the horrid long lasting side effects people are claiming to have been afflicted by.

Please feel free to drop me a message anytime if I can help you at all through my own experiences. In fact add me on FB if you'd like as I'm more likely to respond quickly! '*Removed*'

All the best

Rob

Hi Rob

Can I ask who is your derm / is that through Spire?

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/11/2013 8:22 am

On 8/11/2013 at 6:21 PM, 13yearsofAcne said:
On 8/11/2013 at 4:30 PM, Samcro said:

Hey,

All the best

Rob

Hi Rob

Can I ask who is your derm / is that through Spire?

Hey,

I did it through Vale Healthcare (which is only based in south Wales) but the same derm also works at Spire too. His name is Dr Colin Long. I saw him from 2000-2013. I now see Dr Alun Evans.

MemberMember
(@cystyjam)

Posted : 08/11/2013 3:37 pm

Hey Rob,

I, too, have tried topicals such as differin with 0 results. But from what I've heard.. It sounds like using the topical retinoids on your clear, post-accutane skin can help maintain your clear skin and prolong the effect/success of accutane. This is what I was asking whether you tried, I didn't mean just using retin-a on its own. If you haven't tried this before, maybe we should both do it this time and post our results? Cheers!

Hey Rob,

I, too, have tried topicals such as differin with 0 results. But from what I've heard.. It sounds like using the topical retinoids on your clear, post-accutane skin can help maintain your clear skin and prolong the effect/success of accutane. This is what I was asking whether you tried, I didn't mean just using retin-a on its own. If you haven't tried this before, maybe we should both do it this time and post our results? Cheers!

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/12/2013 5:22 am

Hey Rob,

Hey Rob,

No I havent tried that route, it could work as a post treatment maintenance I suppose, but I'm happy to stay with the regime I'm currently on as Im getting good results on it: to be honest I'm far too scared to come off my current low long course, particularly at the moment as I'm still feeling very frail confidence and mood wise. I'm suffering few side effects and am seeing decent results at last, (only took 15 frickin years!), so will keep on truckin'.

Let me know how you get on with it would you please? I'd still be interested to know how it goes for you.

All the best and hope you work it out :)

Rob

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 08/16/2013 12:20 pm

No I havent tried that route, it could work as a post treatment maintenance I suppose, but I'm happy to stay with the regime I'm currently on as Im getting good results on it: to be honest I'm far too scared to come off my current low long course, particularly at the moment as I'm still feeling very frail confidence and mood wise. I'm suffering few side effects and am seeing decent results at last, (only took 15 frickin years!), so will keep on truckin'.

Let me know how you get on with it would you please? I'd still be interested to know how it goes for you.

All the best and hope you work it out smile.png

Rob

Rob

Sorry to hijack the authors thread but your experience intrigues me.

Are you saying you've managed to convince Dr Alun Evans to prescribe you with 20 mg of Roaccutane daily on an ongoing basis? That's incredible.

Does he give any conditions attached? Like might he decide to take you off after 8 months to see how your doing? I hate this ''see how your doing bit'' because I always relapse and then it takes a further 6 months to get clear.

What is your acne condition like?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@acne2000)

Posted : 08/16/2013 3:58 pm

I am on my third course of Accutane and very pleased with the results. I did a course in my 20s and then in my 30's for acne. It worked well and I pretty much did grow out of the acne. Also tried Differin, Retin A, Tazorac creams and found them completely useless and inconvenient. For an acute breakout an antibiotic ointment called Bactroban (not sure of the generic name) worked really good to more quickly heal a specific pimple. Several months after Accutane the blackheads on my nose came back but I just accepted them for several years. Finally I got tired of the hundreds of clogged pores on my nose (actually it is sebaceous hyperplasia and was spreading) and went back on Accutane (a generic actually) at 40mg per day and it is working great. At this lower dose I only have minor dryness of the skin and lips which is quite easy to deal with. I feel very confident with the appearance of my skin and aside from using lip balm and daily sun screen the routine is very easy to deal with. When this course is over I plan on seeking a doctor that will prescribe a long term dose to keep the sebaceous hyperplasia (blackheads, clogged pores) away. Don't be depressed about getting on Accutane again! Just be glad such an effective drug is available. You might ask your doctor to start with lower doses and gradually increase until you find a dose level that is effective. That may help minimize the dramatic effects that can occur with trying to blast the acne out with a course of high doses. My opinion is that if it works you should go for it and not suffer with the acne again. Good luck to you!

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:38 pm

It's assuring to know about others taking multiple courses of Accutane! I'm going to start a second course soon and I'm terrified that it will only produce temporary results again, and give me permanent side effects. Has anybody noticed any long-term side effects from being on Roaccutane more than once? I've exhausted every other option and I'm waiting to be seen by a dermatologist, and I can't help but wonder if I'm making the right decision. I feel like a lot of horror stories over the net about permanent side effects are blown out of proportions (in some cases), and almost every ailment is blamed on the Roaccutane. I've been coming across a lot of theories about IBS, arthritis, Crohn's Disease, depression etc etc, but no proven hypothesis, despite attempting to search for them. I guess all meds come with side effects, and these are plastered all over the internet as a result. I typed in the antibiotic I was taking for my skin into google, and apparently that has also been linked to depression and IBS! There's no winning.

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/16/2013 5:46 pm

After you complete your accutane course this time tell your doctor that you want go on low dose accutane to keep your face clear and in control from future acne.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/16/2013 6:08 pm

So a complete standard course according to weight etc, then a low dose afterwards instead of ceasing treatment?

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/16/2013 6:09 pm

On 8/16/2013 at 11:20 PM, 13yearsofAcne said:
On 8/12/2013 at 4:22 PM, Samcro said:

All the best and hope you work it out smile.png

Rob

Rob

Sorry to hijack the authors thread but your experience intrigues me.

Are you saying you've managed to convince Dr Alun Evans to prescribe you with 20 mg of Roaccutane daily on an ongoing basis? That's incredible.

Does he give any conditions attached? Like might he decide to take you off after 8 months to see how your doing? I hate this ''see how your doing bit'' because I always relapse and then it takes a further 6 months to get clear.

What is your acne condition like?

Thanks

Hey there,

Pretty much, yes! I found him very helpfull, he sat down with me for a good 45 mins, listened to 'my story', ensured I was entirely content, answered any concerns or questions, and we both decided mutally on my best course of action. We agreed I would take the long and low course route. He prescribed me 6 months worth of isotretinoin at 20mg 3 times a week with the proviso for me to not be afraid to up or lower my dosage as I saw fit, whereupon if I needed more I could go back and see him for more meds if needed. Im currently doing 20mg a day, so I have upped my dose from what we discussed. I'll make an appointment to see him in a couple of months to renew my prescription :)

No conditions, he was pretty open. I've had the 'see how you're doing' noise until now too, and I always relapsed. I've come to realise I need this drug, albeit at a low dose, in my system, for quite some time yet. My skin is good, not clear but its coming along slowly. I suffer little to no side effects. My lips can get red and sometimes peel slightly but balm sorts this out no problem. The only concern that has arrisen for me is joint pain - I do intensive exercise and found I was getting pain, particularly in my legs, after jogging long distances (I have just had to pull out of a 10k race because of it). I still weight train though with little minor pain, nothing I can't handle.

Sorry for the late reply, please feel free to add me on fb if you wish to contact me. I'm always on it! *Removed*

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

Rob

MemberMember
(@acne2000)

Posted : 08/16/2013 7:27 pm

Most people have no long term negative effects. The small minority of people that have lingering problems are the ones that have reason to post on the internet. Those with positive outcomes with no long term problems just get on with their lives and probably even forget that they took Accutane (oral isotretinoin). It's the same with every drug and medical procedure, the people with problems are the ones who post. I am not minimizing their pain and suffering and they are justified in posting, I'm just saying that for anything medical related, products, etc., you will see way more negative accounts than positive. I am finishing my third course of isotretinoin and I have never had any lingering side effects and was very pleased with the results. Frankly I think the media and lawyers have made this seem way worse then it is. Oral isotretinoin has changed thousands of lives for the better and under a doctor's care the chances of problems are actually pretty minimal. Results may indeed be temporary, but it is the best and most powerful drug available for acne and similar sebaceous disorders. If you keep reading the horror stories I can almost guarantee you will imagine that you are having every side effect you have read about. In reality, at low dose, the only thing you are actually going to experience is dry skin and lips. You're not going to go crazy or get depressed unless you convince yourself that you are. All my opinion, but I am a very satisfied user of oral isotretinoin (a.k.a. Accutane).

It's assuring to know about others taking multiple courses of Accutane! I'm going to start a second course soon and I'm terrified that it will only produce temporary results again, and give me permanent side effects. Has anybody noticed any long-term side effects from being on Roaccutane more than once? I've exhausted every other option and I'm waiting to be seen by a dermatologist, and I can't help but wonder if I'm making the right decision. I feel like a lot of horror stories over the net about permanent side effects are blown out of proportions (in some cases), and almost every ailment is blamed on the Roaccutane. I've been coming across a lot of theories about IBS, arthritis, Crohn's Disease, depression etc etc, but no proven hypothesis, despite attempting to search for them. I guess all meds come with side effects, and these are plastered all over the internet as a result. I typed in the antibiotic I was taking for my skin into google, and apparently that has also been linked to depression and IBS! There's no winning.

MemberMember
(@cystyjam)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:00 am

I am on my third course of Accutane and very pleased with the results. I did a course in my 20s and then in my 30's for acne. It worked well and I pretty much did grow out of the acne. Also tried Differin, Retin A, Tazorac creams and found them completely useless and inconvenient. For an acute breakout an antibiotic ointment called Bactroban (not sure of the generic name) worked really good to more quickly heal a specific pimple. Several months after Accutane the blackheads on my nose came back but I just accepted them for several years. Finally I got tired of the hundreds of clogged pores on my nose (actually it is sebaceous hyperplasia and was spreading) and went back on Accutane (a generic actually) at 40mg per day and it is working great. At this lower dose I only have minor dryness of the skin and lips which is quite easy to deal with. I feel very confident with the appearance of my skin and aside from using lip balm and daily sun screen the routine is very easy to deal with. When this course is over I plan on seeking a doctor that will prescribe a long term dose to keep the sebaceous hyperplasia (blackheads, clogged pores) away. Don't be depressed about getting on Accutane again! Just be glad such an effective drug is available. You might ask your doctor to start with lower doses and gradually increase until you find a dose level that is effective. That may help minimize the dramatic effects that can occur with trying to blast the acne out with a course of high doses. My opinion is that if it works you should go for it and not suffer with the acne again. Good luck to you!

Hey acne2000,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I find it very comforting to hear of other people who have taken multiple courses and eventually growing out of acne. This is the dream I'm hoping for. I congratulate you on your success with accutane, well done! I'm curious how long you sustained remission for each time? How severe was your acne prior to accutane? You're absolutely right in saying that I should be glad that this drug is available and that it actually does work for me. I've been reading some terrible stories of others who have taken multiple courses and not achieving effective results on the later runs, and I'm praying this is not the case for me. I'm trying to stay optimistic though as I've only started my 3rd course. I really don't want to live any more of what's left of my remaining "youthful" years with this terrible disease anymore. I will embrace accutane rather than deny it, seeing as I've tried quite a few hollistic remedies to no avail. Thanks for the good luck, I will take it and run with it for as long as I can!

MemberMember
(@cystyjam)

Posted : 08/17/2013 5:23 am

Hi BlueMoon,

I know how you feel. We all just want to share experiences and success stories with each other to boost our confidence, as we all know how punishing acne can be to one's confidence. I think everyone that goes on accutane, be it the first time or the X'th time, experiences the exact same anxiety and fear. You start to question everything, then you start to google answers and similar stories from others. Well, my suggestion to you is to refrain from doing so as much as possible (if you are that is..) because it will only make you doubt and question yourself even further! Chances are, you will go through the same side effects you did as your first course of accutane, so just be patient and see your doctor regularly. That's how my second course went and it cleared me up 100%. I was so happy that I completely forgot about acne and how painful it can be on yourself... well, until it came back after 6 months that is, then it hit me in the face like a ton of bricks again. My doc has been pushing me to go back on accutane for the past two years and I've been trying so hard to avoid it in hopes that I'd find a natural cure, but the road has been long and tragic, and here I am once again popping the pills I dreaded for too long. It's nice to post threads and talk to others with the same problems, so doing so might help you through the tough times a bit better, but all in all, try not to worry too much about the side effects and focus on the healing! I'm on day 10 of my 3rd course and I'm happy to talk/share/rant if you need someone smile.png

Best of luck to you!

After you complete your accutane course this time tell your doctor that you wan´t go on low dose accutane to keep your face clear and in control from future acne.

Thanks for the suggestion hasmas. Is this something you've tried and tested with success? I have read about a couple of others who have done a very low dose long term solution and has been achieving victories. I'm quite interested in this, but I wonder how the side effects work on low dose courses, since I do enjoy to go out for drinks with my friends every now and then, I wonder if it'd be possible on a long term low dose course. Thoughts?

So a complete standard course according to weight etc, then a low dose afterwards instead of ceasing treatment?

BlueMoon, for me, I think I will try to do a complete course, which I've read is close to 150mg/kg and then I will try to maintain my cleared skin with a topical retinoid and if that works I hope I can ride out the clear-skin-joy-train until I hopefully grow out of this $#@! called acne. If I do relapse again, I may look into a low dose solution.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/17/2013 6:06 am

Hi BlueMoon,

I know how you feel. We all just want to share experiences and success stories with each other to boost our confidence, as we all know how punishing acne can be to one's confidence. I think everyone that goes on accutane, be it the first time or the X'th time, experiences the exact same anxiety and fear. You start to question everything, then you start to google answers and similar stories from others. Well, my suggestion to you is to refrain from doing so as much as possible (if you are that is..) because it will only make you doubt and question yourself even further! Chances are, you will go through the same side effects you did as your first course of accutane, so just be patient and see your doctor regularly. That's how my second course went and it cleared me up 100%. I was so happy that I completely forgot about acne and how painful it can be on yourself... well, until it came back after 6 months that is, then it hit me in the face like a ton of bricks again. My doc has been pushing me to go back on accutane for the past two years and I've been trying so hard to avoid it in hopes that I'd find a natural cure, but the road has been long and tragic, and here I am once again popping the pills I dreaded for too long. It's nice to post threads and talk to others with the same problems, so doing so might help you through the tough times a bit better, but all in all, try not to worry too much about the side effects and focus on the healing! I'm on day 10 of my 3rd course and I'm happy to talk/share/rant if you need someone smile.png

Best of luck to you!

>After you complete your accutane course this time tell your doctor that you wan´t go on low dose accutane to keep your face clear and in control from future acne.

Thanks for the suggestion hasmas. Is this something you've tried and tested with success? I have read about a couple of others who have done a very low dose long term solution and has been achieving victories. I'm quite interested in this, but I wonder how the side effects work on low dose courses, since I do enjoy to go out for drinks with my friends every now and then, I wonder if it'd be possible on a long term low dose course. Thoughts?

BlueMoon, for me, I think I will try to do a complete course, which I've read is close to 150mg/kg and then I will try to maintain my cleared skin with a topical retinoid and if that works I hope I can ride out the clear-skin-joy-train until I hopefully grow out of this $#@! called acne. If I do relapse again, I may look into a low dose solution.

Hi cystyjam, thank you for the support. I can completely understand. It's a really tough decision and should be used as a last resort. I've exhausted every other option in the past before my first course, and since breaking out after my course, I've tried topicals and antibiotics. So I feel like a second course is justified, especially as I've waited around for so long with little success, and I've spent months trying to decide! That's very true; Google can be so psychologically dangerous at times! I think researching is healthy, but only in moderation. I've become a little excessive with it lately due to nerves and indecisiveness. Obviously this isn't really helping, because as acne2000 stated, most of the stories online are negative. I will definitely try to focus on the positive aspects (healing and possible clear skin, eep!) from now on. Good luck with your third course and I am sure you will see good results - as they say, three may be the lucky number!

Most people have no long term negative effects. The small minority of people that have lingering problems are the ones that have reason to post on the internet. Those with positive outcomes with no long term problems just get on with their lives and probably even forget that they took Accutane (oral isotretinoin). It's the same with every drug and medical procedure, the people with problems are the ones who post. I am not minimizing their pain and suffering and they are justified in posting, I'm just saying that for anything medical related, products, etc., you will see way more negative accounts than positive. I am finishing my third course of isotretinoin and I have never had any lingering side effects and was very pleased with the results. Frankly I think the media and lawyers have made this seem way worse then it is. Oral isotretinoin has changed thousands of lives for the better and under a doctor's care the chances of problems are actually pretty minimal. Results may indeed be temporary, but it is the best and most powerful drug available for acne and similar sebaceous disorders. If you keep reading the horror stories I can almost guarantee you will imagine that you are having every side effect you have read about. In reality, at low dose, the only thing you are actually going to experience is dry skin and lips. You're not going to go crazy or get depressed unless you convince yourself that you are. All my opinion, but I am a very satisfied user of oral isotretinoin (a.k.a. Accutane).

Thank you for the assurance, acne2000. This is very, very true. Most stories are posted by those who feel compelled to share an experience. You're right; when I had clear skin for two years after my first course, I completely forgot about Roaccutane, and acne for that matter! I just lived a normal life and I'd forgotten how it felt to suffer from skin issues. I didn't feel compelled to share my success story over the internet. I only shared it if I was asked, and in this case, I was never asked over a forum because I never thought to join one. I was happy with my skin and got on with my life. I joined this website once my acne started to negatively impact my life, because I want to talk to others who feel the same way. So all in all, this theory is mostly true. It's very, very nice to hear the positive stories about Roaccutane when you do find them, though, and I can't stress that enough for others out there who have no other option. It's utterly horrid when you are left with no other option, and a whole database of tragic stories about the only thing that could possibly help. It makes you feel as if you have to decide between your health or your skin. But anyway, I'm looking forward to my second course and I hope it blasts it for good! I don't think I was on Roaccutane for long enough last time, as I came off it as soon as my skin started to clear. Perhaps I need a second course to amend this.

MemberMember
(@13yearsofacne)

Posted : 08/17/2013 7:50 am

On 8/17/2013 at 5:09 AM, Samcro said:

Hey there,

Pretty much, yes! I found him very helpfull, he sat down with me for a good 45 mins, listened to 'my story', ensured I was entirely content, answered any concerns or questions, and we both decided mutally on my best course of action. We agreed I would take the long and low course route. He prescribed me 6 months worth of isotretinoin at 20mg 3 times a week with the proviso for me to not be afraid to up or lower my dosage as I saw fit, whereupon if I needed more I could go back and see him for more meds if needed. Im currently doing 20mg a day, so I have upped my dose from what we discussed. I'll make an appointment to see him in a couple of months to renew my prescription smile.png

No conditions, he was pretty open. I've had the 'see how you're doing' noise until now too, and I always relapsed. I've come to realise I need this drug, albeit at a low dose, in my system, for quite some time yet. My skin is good, not clear but its coming along slowly. I suffer little to no side effects. My lips can get red and sometimes peel slightly but balm sorts this out no problem. The only concern that has arrisen for me is joint pain - I do intensive exercise and found I was getting pain, particularly in my legs, after jogging long distances (I have just had to pull out of a 10k race because of it). I still weight train though with little minor pain, nothing I can't handle.

Sorry for the late reply, please feel free to add me on fb if you wish to contact me. I'm always on it! *Removed*

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob

I live only about 1hrs drive from Bridgend so I am considering going to see this doctor myself.

One issue I always have when seeing a new doctor is the ''oh your skin doesn't look so bad'' response, and although I try to explain ''this is because of Roacctuane, hence I'm here seeking more'', my message doesn't always get through.

Did you have to let your skin deteriorate to a horrendous state before Dr Alun Evans gave you Roaccutane? How bad was your skin at the point he decided to give you Roaccutane? Or was he just prepared to just give it to you at your discretion?

Thanks

Sorry I'm not FB

MemberMember
(@hasmas)

Posted : 08/17/2013 8:03 am

After you complete your accutane course this time tell your doctor that you want go on low dose accutane to keep your face clear and in control from future acne.

Low-dose accutane might only have one side effect and that will be dry lips I think and there are no other side effects , becuase the dose is very low and its just to control the acne and keep your skin at normal all the time until you outgrow it or, you will have to use a topical gel like differin or maybe BP to keep it at control. Here is a video.

Yes sir. Complete 5-6Month course according to weight , then low-dose accutane after that the doctor might want you to rest like 2month and then start on the low-dose.

MemberMember
(@samcro)

Posted : 08/20/2013 10:31 am

On 8/17/2013 at 6:50 PM, 13yearsofAcne said:
On 8/17/2013 at 5:09 AM, Samcro said:

Hey there,

Pretty much, yes! I found him very helpfull, he sat down with me for a good 45 mins, listened to 'my story', ensured I was entirely content, answered any concerns or questions, and we both decided mutally on my best course of action. We agreed I would take the long and low course route. He prescribed me 6 months worth of isotretinoin at 20mg 3 times a week with the proviso for me to not be afraid to up or lower my dosage as I saw fit, whereupon if I needed more I could go back and see him for more meds if needed. Im currently doing 20mg a day, so I have upped my dose from what we discussed. I'll make an appointment to see him in a couple of months to renew my prescription smile.png

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Rob

I live only about 1hrs drive from Bridgend so I am considering going to see this doctor myself.

One issue I always have when seeing a new doctor is the ''oh your skin doesn't look so bad'' response, and although I try to explain ''this is because of Roacctuane, hence I'm here seeking more'', my message doesn't always get through.

Did you have to let your skin deteriorate to a horrendous state before Dr Alun Evans gave you Roaccutane? How bad was your skin at the point he decided to give you Roaccutane? Or was he just prepared to just give it to you at your discretion?

Thanks

Sorry I'm not FB

Hey,

Ah cool, where about in South Wales?? I'm originally from Merthyr but live in the 'diff now after living all around the world!

My skin wasn't awful but it wasn't amazing either, prob had 5-6 spots on my face. He gave me the dosage I wanted the first time I saw him, after explaining my story etc in detail. He is very willing to allow me to tailor the treatment to my preference. You should make an appointment with him at Vale Healthcare clinic in Cardiff Bay - 02920 836714 - tell the receptionist your a new patient and would like to see Dr Alan Evans only. You can usually get an appointment by the following week. The initial consultation will cost you £125, and as it's private you will have to pay for the meds at a pharmacy. Mine cost me £75 for 6 months worth.

Let me know how you get on. Best of luck.

Rob