Notifications
Clear all

Initial Breakout

MemberMember
(@m2017)

Posted : 07/11/2013 4:14 pm

Heyy!

I am about 2 weeks into the treatment and I have started to break out a bit....its not horrible but it is def the biggest break out I have had in a very long time. I was just wondering how long an initial breakout generally lasts? Is this something that goes on for days/weeks/months?

Before I started accutane I had mild acne but I have had it for the past 10 or 11 years and I AM SOOO OVER IT! haha

Does anyone have any suggestions to help the peeling skin? I've been moisturizing but idk if that is defeating the purpose of drying the skin out and it doesnt seem to help the peeling anyway wacko.png

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 07/12/2013 11:38 am

I'm almost at the end of month 2 and have what feels like the worst skin in the world. Sorry for the bad news, some people start to see improvements after one month but some have an initial breakout until in to month 3 so just cross your fingers :)

Hmmm I've been wondering about the effect of moisturiser too. I think this stuff can do some damage to your skin if you let it severely dry out so I'm going to continue to moisturise. As for peeling, moisturising should help, maybe try a different moisturiser?

Sorry I can't be more helpful, good luck with your treatment :)

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 07/12/2013 12:02 pm

I continuously broke out from month 1 to month 5. I would have periods of clearing and get my hopes up and then bam I'd break out again. Finally in the beginning of month 5 I finally stopped breaking out and got clear by mid month 5. You just have to hang in there. Most people start to see improvements at month 3 but a lot of people don't see good results until 4 5 even month 6. I did a 7 month course and month 1&2 I was on 40mg daily then the remainder of my course I was at 60mg.

Now about the moisturizer, you guys need to be moisturizing, your skin needs to be in a well hydrated state to provide the best healing ability. Dry skin, even more so accutane dry skin is so severely dry you have the pottential to heal terriblely if your not moiturizing. That could mean more scars or red marks. Moisturize morning and night, even if you think you don't need it. Trust me you need it.

MemberMember
(@m2017)

Posted : 07/12/2013 12:23 pm

Thanks for the help! I will continue my search for a good moisturizer and will def keep my fingers crossed that the breakout doesnt get much worse!

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/12/2013 10:54 pm

Accutane is basically pushing out all the pimples that you were going to get anyway, but perhaps now they're all happening at once.. see

My initial breakout was annoying, but I stopped getting new pimples after about 4 months of treatment. I am now 2 years post-Accutane and remain 100% clear.

Good luck

http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2004/9.3/1.html

http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/isotretinoin.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835909/pdf/de0103_0162.pdf