Notifications
Clear all

Can I Use Isotretinoin And Differin Gel Together?

MemberMember
(@tiara85)

Posted : 06/13/2013 8:48 am

Hi!

Just joined today and would love some advice......

I've suffered with acne for about 4 years and have always treated it myself with diet and suber expensive skincare. However finally had enough and after researching Retin A and Isotretinoin I went to doctors today with a list of these. On my list I had options:
1. Retin A (pm) and Clindamycin gel 1% (am)
2. Isotretinoin gel 0.05% (pm) and Azelaic Acid 20% (am)
3. Just differin with a question mark as I hadn't researched that one loads.
Doctor recommended that I use a oral antibiotic and prescribed Lymecyline capsules 408mg. Then said she'll prescribe me the second option. However when I was in the chemist I noticed she'd prescribed Isotretinoin gel and Differin! I had no idea these could be used together. I phoned and doctor confirmed that I was to use differin in the evening and the isotrex gel in the evening - or if I'm not confident just start with one.
Does anyone have experience of using these products or both together??
I'd really appreciate the advice! I'm worried that if I use both and it's not a success then I won't know which gel is at fault. I'm thinking about just using the Isotrex gel and going back for the azelaic acid as my chemical exfoliant in the next few weeks.
Hope someone can help!
Sara
MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 06/13/2013 11:16 am

DO NOT use them together! Isotrex gel is sort of a chemical exfoliant (but better) in the way that it speeds up how fast your skin cells turn over. Differin does the same thing but its basically less effective. So there's no point in using the differin aswell. The isotrex gel on its own will dry your skin out quite a bit at first, so the differin will only make the irritation worse.

Isotrex tends to make some people break out more at first, this is called 'purging' (like the new movie lol) where all of the potential spots turn into spots as your skin gets cleared out. To minimize this, take the antibiotics for 3/4 weeks before you start using the Isotrex and it should be a bit more forgiving on your skin.

Let us know how it works for you :)

MemberMember
(@tiara85)

Posted : 06/13/2013 4:19 pm

Thank you so much!!

I thought it was wrong her prescribing then telling me it was fine to use both.... just shows you eh, GP's ain't Derms :) I wouldn't mind if they didn't just guess things!

I'll start the Isotrex tonight and popped my first antibiotic this avo :)

Thanks again! Mwah x

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 06/13/2013 6:00 pm

tell me about it! i feel like most people on this forum are better qualified to treat acne than most doctors these days. rolleyes.gif

is your skin oily at all? isotrex is supposed to make your skin produce less oil, let me know if it does because ive been thinking about asking my GP for isotrex just for that reason (my acne is under control on the acne.org regimen but my skin is still soooooooooo oily).ermm.gif

lymecyline cleared me up in about 6 weeks when i used it so hopefully it works for you too, good luck! x