Notifications
Clear all

Corneal Ulcer While On Accutane?

MemberMember
(@sunshinetaradise)

Posted : 06/07/2013 9:22 am

So i'm a little over 3 months into my first course of Accutane(lost count of the day because I had to go off of it for three weeks due to a vesicular form of athlete's foot that required a strong med to get rid of it that is harder on the liver than Accutane) I ended up developing a sterile corneal ulcer on Monday and my eye dr thinks it's from the Accutane drying my eyes out (I also wear contacts). Has this ever happened to anyone while taking Accutane?

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/07/2013 1:22 pm

Your derm is right! It states in your RX information under special senses / Vision - Corneal opacities,(see warnings) decreased night vision which may persist, cataracts, color vision disorders, conjunctivitis, dry eyes, eyelid inflammation, keratitis, optic neuritis, photophobia, visual disturbances.

As for the Athlete's foot I am NOT sure of your history, but Accutane is known to make you more susceptible to picking up infections & it is also known to cause delay in healing getting over infections etc...

Another thing is that Roche also states that it can alter sugar levels in which high sugar levels can cause Athlete's foot and contribute to excessive dry eye and eye issues. Not all derms included Glucose in their monthly labs.

Maybe you should consider other option for your acne, especially if it is not severe cystic! What's clear skin if you can't see! Good Luck

Also do a search of vision issues on the board and it should bring up other peoples experiences