My Derm Suggested An Uncommon Dosage

MemberMember
(@ria224)

Posted : 06/05/2013 2:44 am

Hi,

This is what my derm suggested :

1st 3 months : 20 mg/day

4th (final) month : 40 mg/day

I have mild acne, and currently I'm in my 7th week of the treatment. The oil has considerably reduced but there's side effects- chapped lips, dry skin patches and my skin's become extremely sensitive to sun. Also, I feel light pain in my ankles and knees (which I have read is common). I have not come across a dosage like mine on the forum, so could someone let me know if its okay?!unsure.png

MemberMember
(@herbie-hancock)

Posted : 06/05/2013 6:31 am

Seems fairly standard to be honest, its not too high a dose

MemberMember
(@tane007)

Posted : 06/05/2013 8:12 am

good dosage. Lower dosage = less extreme side effects.

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 06/05/2013 9:56 am

It's not unusual. Some dermatologists prefer lower dosages thinking they are safer. Which isn't always the case. But other dermatologists prefer to go big or go home with high dosages. My accutane course was months 1-3 40mg and 4-7 I was at 60mg. If you are clearing up and oil is going away then the medication is doing what it is supposed to do. If its not then maybe ask to go higher on your dosage. Keep a eye on those side effects. Just because they are common like the aching knees and ankles doesn't mean it's right, that side effect could stay with you. So please be careful! Best of luck and don't worry your dosage is just fine

MemberMember
(@ria224)

Posted : 06/07/2013 2:06 am

thanks mickaoh ad tane007, that's comforting smile.png

@moonlight thankyou , i will keep a check on the side-effects. Also I'll post the results after I complete the course.

MemberMember
(@solveanceforever)

Posted : 06/07/2013 2:28 am

i dont know anything about dosage -- that's something i DONT know, dont research -- and will always recommend you ask the dema that gave you it (and probably ask a more reliable dema if that one is suspect)