Notifications
Clear all

Can I Get An Accutane Round 2?

MemberMember
(@mmaguy115)

Posted : 05/30/2013 1:00 am

Hey guys,

So kinda upset I have to make a new post on this forum section, only because that means my acne is back.

Lets run through my history:

Ive had acne since 14. It was moderate, nothing super super cystic and serious, but it was the post persistent mild acne know to man. I went to a dermatologist at 15 and was prescribed EVERYTHING for 4 years. Creams, antibiotic, gels, light therapy, everything. I tried countless lifestyles changes to see if something was causing my acne, and I got nothing.

After 4 years of trying to find a cure, I ask my derm about accutane and he said he would be okay with it. I went on accutane around march 3rd, 2012. I started at a low dose and kind of bumped around for 7 months, only because my triglycerides were elevated and derm was not okay with them being high. I basically went 40 - 40- 60 - 80 - 40 - 40- 40 (MG's in order of month), so not a complete course was put in. I was clear for nearly 9 months, then started breaking out. I started breaking out even more and more, and it got to the point where I scheduled derm appointment to try and get my 2nd round of accutane.

Problem is I'm not going back to my old doctor, because I'm down at school for the summer and in the fall I had to call a local derm and scheduled an appointment in a week or so. My question is, is there a better chance I can re-prescribed accutane by a NEW doctor because I had already had accutane once before and it didn't completely do the job? Or will it just come down to doctors call; whether he has used it in the past, believes its worth it, finds it necessary, etc...

Thanks,

MemberMember
(@ninergirl)

Posted : 06/01/2013 11:00 am

Hey there. I think it all depends on the doctor. I went on accutane 3 times and each time it cleared me up but months later, my severely oily skin returned and my acne. I guess I have more congested skin then anything and not pimples. Tons of blackheads and clogged poors and it all came back each time :( My first derm was retiring and believed in accutane so I got lucky. All the other derms in the office were against it. About 5 years later I moved and saw a new derm and she put me on again...this was the second time. About two years ago. She put me on retin-A when I finished my course to hopefully continue my skin being cleared. Well it didn't work and my skin went back to being bad. After three months being done with my second course she was all for me going on it again. So all that to say I think it depends on the doctor, but my derm had no issues with putting it on me more than once. Her philosophy was sometimes it takes more than once for it to have saving power and some patients will clear for years and then need to go on it again. I really wish I was one of those people who had the staying power of staying clear. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@zraden)

Posted : 06/03/2013 9:56 pm

Dont threat!

Its not unnormal for people to need a second or even third dose.

There are also people that simply take it for the rest of their life in the from

of low dose maintenance. like .. 40 Mg every Monday to keep things in check.

I finished my Tane almost a year ago and yep... I got a few back on my my back but nothing like

how it was before I started taking Tane for the first time.

My GP says he will give me another round if I want it and I'm definitely contemplating it.