Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics Cause Depression/anxiety/panic Attack

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/01/2013 2:26 pm

Reading through numerous forums and posts from people who have taken antibiotics... it seems that plenty people become chronically depressed/anxious after taking antibiotics. I am one of those people. I have started this thread so that we can as a community work together to overcome the depression that occurs with antibiotics.

For me, being in the sun as much as possible helps relieve my depression and eating low carbs.

MemberMember
(@vituperative)

Posted : 05/01/2013 3:30 pm

I've been on Doryx for 3 weeks and this morning I woke up feeling extremely panicked and light headed. I was home alone and didn't know how to calm myself down and I thought I was going to faint. I've never had this happen to me before. Ever. I don't think I made the connection til I read this, actually... although, could be a coincidence.

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 05/01/2013 3:44 pm

the 2nd time I took antibiotics (lymecycline) used to get 'derealization' where suddenly I would freak out in my mind and think "is this real or a dream" and feel like I was about to have a panic attack but I always calmed myself down, it stopped soon after I stopped taking them. I feel like if you get depression 'from' it you were probably going to get it at some point anyway, i dont really get how antibiotics can completely cause a normal person to have depression (not that I would know, though)

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/01/2013 5:49 pm

the 2nd time I took antibiotics (lymecycline) used to get 'derealization' where suddenly I would freak out in my mind and think "is this real or a dream" and feel like I was about to have a panic attack but I always calmed myself down, it stopped soon after I stopped taking them. I feel like if you get depression 'from' it you were probably going to get it at some point anyway, i dont really get how antibiotics can completely cause a normal person to have depression (not that I would know, though)

how long were you on antibiotics for, if you do not mind me asking?

I've been on Doryx for 3 weeks and this morning I woke up feeling extremely panicked and light headed. I was home alone and didn't know how to calm myself down and I thought I was going to faint. I've never had this happen to me before. Ever. I don't think I made the connection til I read this, actually... although, could be a coincidence.

that right there IMO is a clear sign to stop using the antibiotics. I used doxy 100mg 2x a day for 4 months, and I had early signs like that but completely ignored them. Oh what a foolish thing to do...

MemberMember
(@xxyy)

Posted : 05/02/2013 2:53 am

how long were you on antibiotics for, if you do not mind me asking?

>I've been on Doryx for 3 weeks and this morning I woke up feeling extremely panicked and light headed. I was home alone and didn't know how to calm myself down and I thought I was going to faint. I've never had this happen to me before. Ever. I don't think I made the connection til I read this, actually... although, could be a coincidence.

that right there IMO is a clear sign to stop using the antibiotics. I used doxy 100mg 2x a day for 4 months, and I had early signs like that but completely ignored them. Oh what a foolish thing to do...

The first time I took them for two months and it was fine and my acne cleared up, then ofc it all came back and about a year later I took it again for a month and it wasnt as effective and I was worried about it affecting my intestines and stuff so I stopped. I also had a 'bout' of insomnia when I was taking it too, maybe that was linked to the anxiety from the antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/02/2013 9:09 am

its crazy how there are people I know who took antibiotics for years...

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/02/2013 11:43 am

antibiotics shouldn't be taken long term, i think max 2 months in severe cases and its so bad for you. probiotics are the new antibiotics.

i believe antibiotics throw you off balance mentally and physically and should only be used in cases where you need it.

i took doxycyline for over 7 weeks the last time i took it. it cleared up my skin and all, it works great for redness + acne, but it made me very anxious and i got some affects. this is in the pamphlet, it lists anxiety as a side effect, i only found out after looking up psychological effects of doxy.

did it work? yes. did my acne come back ? YES!

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 05/02/2013 5:06 pm

antibiotics shouldn't be taken long term, i think max 2 months in severe cases and its so bad for you. probiotics are the new antibiotics.

i believe antibiotics throw you off balance mentally and physically and should only be used in cases where you need it.

i took doxycyline for over 7 weeks the last time i took it. it cleared up my skin and all, it works great for redness + acne, but it made me very anxious and i got some affects. this is in the pamphlet, it lists anxiety as a side effect, i only found out after looking up psychological effects of doxy.

did it work? yes. did my acne come back ? YES!

From my recollection, I do not remember seeing anything about anxiety in the pamphlet.

Were you on 100mg 2x a day for doxy? I think 2 months is still a long period of time. I took it for 4 months

MemberMember
(@lillyrose7)

Posted : 05/03/2013 4:09 am

i took 100mg for 2 weeks, then 200mg for the rest of the time. I took the vibramycin brand and yes i have the pamphlet that stated anxiety as a side effect.