Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Initial Breakout?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 04/21/2013 4:43 pm

I stay 95 percent clear with a regimen of BP and Tazorac. The problem is once every 3-4 weeks, I get a giant, underground cyst or nodule that leaves a pitted scar. I am also almost 26 and tired of following ridiculous skin care routines. Because of my age, my doctor told me that I can go on Accutane whenever I want.

The only thing that I am worried about is the initial breakout as I am doing everything I can to prevent more scars. I read that initial breakouts aren't that common but it seems like EVERYONE on this forum has a severe breakout that lasts for weeks if not months.

Does anyone have any tips to prevent this from happening? Should I request prednisone or an antibiotic like Bactrim?

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 04/21/2013 6:14 pm

get prescribed some anti biotics

MemberMember
(@clearupacne)

Posted : 04/21/2013 6:29 pm

Yes you could try getting on accutane and antibiotics at the same time. Amoxicillin and Minocycline typically work right away and you could get off of them after a month, when accutane starts kicking in.

MemberMember
(@tane007)

Posted : 04/21/2013 9:46 pm

try a low dose, maybe 10mg or 20mg. im on 20mg and i did have an IB, but it consisted of only a few pimples and cysts which are now gone and im only on i think day 17.

My pitted scarring from previous acne has actually improved since being on accutane.

MemberMember
(@citygirl039)

Posted : 04/22/2013 12:11 pm

I did not have an initial breakout when I started. I was told that it does not happen to everyone and not to worry or think it would happen to me. I stayed positive. Bought products to prepare me for the side effects and I am doing great! Ia m thrilled and have not had a breakout since I started. Old breakouts cleared up. it took a good month but it was because it really dried those troubled areas up. Accutane is your only hope if you tried everything else. I am doing great and my side effects are minimal. I would do it again. Just make sure you wash 2x per day and have a good moisturizer. I use Neosporin Eczema Cream which is new.