Notifications
Clear all

Trimethorprim

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 03/23/2013 8:16 am

Been on this medication 600mg a day for 15 days now. Still no real improvement noticed. Does this medication take time to work? How long should I give it?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 03/23/2013 10:00 am

Been on this medication 600mg a day for 15 days now. Still no real improvement noticed. Does this medication take time to work? How long should I give it?

Could be because that drug is bacteriostatic, meaning it stops the bacteria from reproducing and your immune system is supposed to kick in to kill off the bad bacteria and if your immune system isn't able to do so the acne will just linger. You may need a bactericide antibiotic to clear up your acne because they will actually kill the bacteria (good and bad unfortunately). Call your dermatologist and say your skin isn't improving and see what they say, sometimes it just takes a long time to notice improvement while taking them.

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 03/23/2013 11:31 am

Could be because that drug is bacteriostatic, meaning it stops the bacteria from reproducing and your immune system is supposed to kick in to kill off the bad bacteria and if your immune system isn't able to do so the acne will just linger. You may need a bactericide antibiotic to clear up your acne because they will actually kill the bacteria (good and bad unfortunately). Call your dermatologist and say your skin isn't improving and see what they say, sometimes it just takes a long time to notice improvement while taking them.

Thanks for the reply. Will keep that mind, might as well stay on this medication for a bit longer. My dermatologist did say give it 2 months before deciding if it's right for me. Was just hoping to see if any one else on here has been on this medication and when they saw first initial results? Cheers

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 03/23/2013 11:49 am

I know for me whenever I tried taking an antibiotic in that category they never worked. My dermatolgist would change it after a month if there wasn't improvement.

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 03/23/2013 12:07 pm

I know for me whenever I tried taking an antibiotic in that category they never worked. My dermatolgist would change it after a month if there wasn't improvement.

Thing is though my body has demonstrated resistance to numerous other anti biotics. This one is a 3rd line treatment geared towards people who have developed resistance in past to more common prescribed antibiotics for acne.

Would you recommend using a Benzoyl peroxide cream and a moisturiser along with the pills? I think I am going to start doing this, the moisturiser I'll use is Olay regen as heard it has profound effects.

I'm also taking Fish oil capsules and Zinc, and cut dairy food out of my diet.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 03/23/2013 12:23 pm

Yes I would be using a topical to treat the acne as well, just don't irritate the skin or it can cause more acne. Use the 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream with a moisturizer and olay is fine, just make sure products say oil-free and non-comedogenic. Fish oil and zinc can cause acne for some people so be careful with those.

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 03/23/2013 12:29 pm

Cheers hifive.gif