Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Week 2 - Need Encouragement And Advice!

MemberMember
(@js327)

Posted : 02/20/2013 7:29 pm

Currently on my second week of Accutane (first round -30 mg 115 lb female, 26 y/o)

Face is horrible, cysts and clogged pores everywhere, bleeding every time I wash face / apply makeup.

Side effects as expected, bloody nose, fatigue, weird rashes on hands, dry lips.

I am moisturizing obsessively.

Basically I am worried because I had previously planned a trip to Mexico in 2 weeks. I will be there on my 4 1/2 week mark. I know that I have to be extra careful in the sun and I have already bought the highest SPF, tons of hats, etc. My derm seems to think that I shouldn't go, but I am so sick of letting acne run my life that I thought a winter holiday would be nice.

I am super embarrased about my IB - do you think it will be gone by the 4 1/2 weeks?

I am worried that my skin is going to freak out once it hits the sun, even with the sunscreen, especially since I have already been getting the weird rashes on my hands. Anyone have experience with this?

Lastly, any tips on combatting the IB? My pores are so clogged and I am scared to exfoliate and I really want to do an aspirin mask but I'm thinking this is a no-no while on Accutane.

Thanks for any advice!

MemberMember
(@terracotta479)

Posted : 02/20/2013 10:08 pm

I'm on day 21. My pores have been extremely clogged as well but my derm told me not to exfoliate them. I think all you can really do is wait. I've been washing my face with jojoba oil (steaming my pores, slathering it on, waiting, rinsing it off and then splashing cold water on my face) and that seems to help the dryness a lot. Unfortunately all you can do about the IB (and believe me, I know just how bad it can get) is wait it out.

I was given the chance to go to Hawaii later next month and had to turn it down because of Accutane. I really wouldn't recommend going anywhere too sunny while on it, but it's your decision, you just might want to take your derm's advice into account.

Best of luck!

MemberMember
(@oldognewtricks)

Posted : 02/20/2013 10:54 pm

Hi, we are parents and have a 14 yr old daughter currently on her 4th month of accutane (40,mg/53kg/6months); which is why we joined, to get as much info as possible for her. As to taking accutane, have you seen/read this post on the website? very informative and will address lot's of your questions Please read the info that's been posted here

Listen to your derm and people on this site; stay away from the sun! What derms/ipledge etc dont tell you is your skin is like baby skin-you wouldn't expose a baby to too much sun, would you? even w/ sunscreen, you are really taking a chance going to Mexico especially if you have complications/health issues while there.

Given you have posted your weight and the mgs you have been prescribed, sounds like you have a good derm; listen to her/him. As to your symptoms sounds normal. the rash will go away and if it doesn't my daughter used 1% otc cortisone just a little bit and once it is gone, if you feel it coming back, try a little otc antibiotic lotion. As to fatigue sore joints, stretch morning and nite; had amazing impact on our daughter who plays sports.

We feel for you missing a trip, but consider what's the pay off; we like to refer people to this post which shows amazing before and after pics

Read the do's and don'ts on that first link and take really good care of your body like the link suggests

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@js327)

Posted : 02/21/2013 11:07 am

Thank you both for the advice! I appreciate the links OldogNewTricks and I will check them out. Best of luck to your daughter. Thanks terracotta479 , I have been steaming a lot too and using emu oil, I think that is helping. We will just have to wait it out! Good luck to you!