Notifications
Clear all

Seeking Answers To Possible Side Effect

MemberMember
(@wingsfan91)

Posted : 01/27/2013 5:44 pm

Hey everybody,

I was on Accutane over the past summer, where I had a 5-month long course of 30mg Claravis. During the process, I developed the average symptons, all of which subsided in the months following the regimen (bloody noses, dry lips, slight back pain). However, more recently I've been in a constant battle with my eyes and head. While on the medication I didn't really notice it much, but I'd say starting early December (so ~1 month after finishing the program) I became more conscious of constant eye irritation and headaches. I hesitate to say dryness, as using eye drops didn't seem to help much, but along with that came the headache (which is the reason for my post).

I struggle to describe exactly what the headache is, as it's more of a low, dull, constant ache throughout the day - key word being constant. It doesn't exactly hinder my ability to work unless I'm paying attention to it, and then it can become a distraction, and it never blossoms into a full blown headache; it's just a never-ending throb, and when I'm not 100% focused on a task it's easy to notice. The reason I decided to bring this to the forums, is that I'm finding it difficult to determine whether it's self-perpetuated, in that my focusing on it is causing me to believe it's worse than it is, or if it's something that I should actually be concerned about. Furthermore, if this is actually a result of accutane, is it simply another side-effect that will subside on its own over time, or again should I be concerned about it?

I was wary of posting such a question on these forums, as I figured it's likely to lead to little more than confirmation bias, but was still hoping that I could get some clear answers on whether or not I'm focusing too much on the problems.

Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 01/27/2013 11:46 pm

Hey everybody,

I was on Accutane over the past summer, where I had a 5-month long course of 30mg Claravis. During the process, I developed the average symptons, all of which subsided in the months following the regimen (bloody noses, dry lips, slight back pain). However, more recently I've been in a constant battle with my eyes and head. While on the medication I didn't really notice it much, but I'd say starting early December (so ~1 month after finishing the program) I became more conscious of constant eye irritation and headaches. I hesitate to say dryness, as using eye drops didn't seem to help much, but along with that came the headache (which is the reason for my post).

I struggle to describe exactly what the headache is, as it's more of a low, dull, constant ache throughout the day - key word being constant. It doesn't exactly hinder my ability to work unless I'm paying attention to it, and then it can become a distraction, and it never blossoms into a full blown headache; it's just a never-ending throb, and when I'm not 100% focused on a task it's easy to notice. The reason I decided to bring this to the forums, is that I'm finding it difficult to determine whether it's self-perpetuated, in that my focusing on it is causing me to believe it's worse than it is, or if it's something that I should actually be concerned about. Furthermore, if this is actually a result of accutane, is it simply another side-effect that will subside on its own over time, or again should I be concerned about it?

I was wary of posting such a question on these forums, as I figured it's likely to lead to little more than confirmation bias, but was still hoping that I could get some clear answers on whether or not I'm focusing too much on the problems.

Thanks in advance.

What do you mean by eye irratation? I mean severe dry eyes or allergies regular otc drops might not work! Have you spoken to a phsycan about your issues? I mean accutane can cause psuedo tumor, but you have visual disturbances, pressure etc...I think you know by now.

MemberMember
(@oldognewtricks)

Posted : 02/11/2013 8:33 pm

OMG! we are parents of two girls, age 20 and 14. Our 14 yr old is on accutane now. our 20 year old took it while a freshman in high school so we have prior experience about the effects of accutane, post treatment.

Our 20 yr old never had headaches or trouble focusing. She attended a private college prep h.s. and was determined to go Ivy league, talk about stress for a high school kid studying to 1-2 am 6 days a week! During AND after her treatment, she could not focus. she had to miss 3 months of school b/c she was unable to focus and she became depressed; completely out of her character.

18 months after completing the accutane (it worked its miracle with her). she developed headaches that turned into migraines; she never had these. Took her to drs and neurologists and nobody could figure it out. The migraines went away after several months as did the depression.

It wasn't until we started researching accutane again for our 14 yr old did we put it together that the accutane caused the migraines and the lack of focus. In fact, we are seeing the same issue with our 14 yr old; she is having trouble focusing.

so, no question that the accutane can affect your ablity to focus, can cause headaches even a year after completing treatment.

As to the headaches, the drs told us noway did accutane cause this. WRONG. We have concluded since the accutane remains in your system for who knows how long, this, we believe with the stressfull school situation caused the migraine onset.

Try to keep the stress levels down and get your sleep b/c we are sure this is what caused the migraines.

MemberMember
(@user187201)

Posted : 02/12/2013 4:59 pm

OMG! we are parents of two girls, age 20 and 14. Our 14 yr old is on accutane now. our 20 year old took it while a freshman in high school so we have prior experience about the effects of accutane, post treatment.

Our 20 yr old never had headaches or trouble focusing. She attended a private college prep h.s. and was determined to go Ivy league, talk about stress for a high school kid studying to 1-2 am 6 days a week! During AND after her treatment, she could not focus. she had to miss 3 months of school b/c she was unable to focus and she became depressed; completely out of her character.

18 months after completing the accutane (it worked its miracle with her). she developed headaches that turned into migraines; she never had these. Took her to drs and neurologists and nobody could figure it out. The migraines went away after several months as did the depression.

It wasn't until we started researching accutane again for our 14 yr old did we put it together that the accutane caused the migraines and the lack of focus. In fact, we are seeing the same issue with our 14 yr old; she is having trouble focusing.

so, no question that the accutane can affect your ablity to focus, can cause headaches even a year after completing treatment.

As to the headaches, the drs told us noway did accutane cause this. WRONG. We have concluded since the accutane remains in your system for who knows how long, this, we believe with the stressfull school situation caused the migraine onset.

Try to keep the stress levels down and get your sleep b/c we are sure this is what caused the migraines.

I hope youve taken your youngest off it?!