Notifications
Clear all

Antibiotics Or Accutane?!?

MemberMember
(@sofielinney)

Posted : 01/21/2013 3:21 pm

I took tetracycline for two years and it cleared my skin up beautifully. However, my acne returned full blown this year. My dermatologist told me to take the tetracycline again but it has lost effectiveness in my opinion, very little improvement in three months and still getting flare ups.

Should i ask to swap to another tetracycline? Whats the best antibiotic? Or is accutane the way forward if i'm getting major PI Hyper pigmentation?

MemberMember
(@hiya259)

Posted : 01/24/2013 2:12 pm

I had the same problem with my old dermatologist, he kept me on the same prescription even tho my acne was getting worse! I switched dermatologists, and I love my new doctor so you may want to look into that. Also, I am currently on doxycycline and I use salicylic acid for spot treatment along with skin effects brightening targeted dark spot corrector ( amazing, lil expensive but you dont need a lot). But skin effects only works for a problem area cuz only get cysts on my chin, i put it all over that area 2x a day after washing my face. As far as accutane, if you are experiencing bad side affects from your current meds I'm not sure your doc will be willing to prescribe accutane, they are very picky and they usually only do it for severe acne and it is very pricey. I just recommend maybe switching dermatologists and see what options they can provide, best move I every made! Hope this helps a lil :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/20/2013 4:07 pm

Hey Sofie! I have been on accutane (twice) I am currently on my second course.

I have taken everything you can imagine, minocycline, doxy, tetracycline, spirolactone etc. doxy and Minocycline worked great, but they eventually wear off. I have been taking antibiotics since I was 15, I didn't want to take them forever. So, I started accutane again. This is day 7 for me. I would say, it depends on how bad your acne is... Also, you have to decide if you want to take antibiotics forever?!