Notifications
Clear all

Just Been Prescribed Erythromycin

MemberMember
(@masetw)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:25 am

Hi,

Just been prescribed Erythromycin for mild acne on my chin and cheeks. Its been going on for about 6/8 months now and i have been using sunbeds to clear my skin up every now and then.

How long would this antibiotics take to work? i have a 1 month course at present.

What side effects should i expect? E.G more breakouts first few weeks, sickness etc etc.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Regards

Mason

MemberMember
(@laurenholt)

Posted : 01/24/2013 12:51 pm

I was given Erythromycin exactly one week ago.

Now, a well known and common side effect is stomach cramps. Some people have the capsules which lessen that coming up, but I had to have the tablets (all pharmacists in town had sold out). I'll just tell you my weeks journey - I'm on 4 a day.

Saturday - Took all 4 at 5 hours between each, absolutely fine.

Sunday - Woke up and skin looked a bit better, but I don't think it could have worked in that time. Felt some cramps until 10 am.

Monday - Very painful stomach cramps, only in the morning

Tuesday - Still bad cramps but again, disappeared by 1pm

Wednesday - Bought those Yoghurt Digestive drinks you have once a day, and made sure I planned my medicine so I never took it after 7.30pm

Thursday - Absolutely fine. Still get some stomach cramps but so light I barely notice. Definitel improvement to my skin, no major breakout either. I don't know if this is a result of erythromycin but I've been feeling really energised recently too...

All in all, I like em a lot. My tips would be: Buy those little bottles of like Activia yoghurt digestive things you get and take one in the morning. It helps the pill go through better or something. Also, EAT EAT EAT. Take your pill on a full stomach and you won't have severe cramps. Oh, and tons of water helps the cramps.

Hope that helps a little.

MemberMember
(@missgxp219)

Posted : 01/29/2013 2:37 am

I have been on this for about 2 months now.

My stomach finally got use to the pills

I take them 3x a day, my doc said don't take it with a meal. Take it 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/01/2013 12:32 pm

I suggest to stay away from antibiotics