Notifications
Clear all

Should I Give Retin A Another Shot?

MemberMember
(@linhnguyen52193)

Posted : 12/20/2012 4:34 pm

Hello everyone~

My name is Linh. I wonder if anyone here has a good result with Retin A and how long it should take Retin A to work for you and also if you experience any initial breakout when you first started. I used Retin A for about 6-8 months, it worsened my skin a lot at first (for about 5 months) but then I noticed some improvements, like the whiteheads eventually went away (still breakouts tho!). However, it left my skin so red and scarred, so I got referred to a derm; she prescribed me Accutane and it worked wonderfully! My skin was all cleared up, not flawless tho. Sadly, my acne came back 4-5 months later after a full course of Accutane and now my skin is just as bad as before. Last week, I decided to go see my primary care doctor and talk to her about my acne concern, she then prescribed me the antibiotic gel (clindagel) and 10% benzoyl peroxide lotion wash. I feel like they're only helping a bit. :( I also have an appointment with a new derm next month. I am thinking about giving Retin A another shot since I've heard many good things about it but I don't know if it will be worth it. Having acne is so depressing, especially when you're using Retin A...

I'd very much appreciate if you also shared your experience with Retin A or anything related to acne.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/21/2012 3:14 am

Hello everyone~

My name is Linh. I wonder if anyone here has a good result with Retin A and how long it should take Retin A to work for you and also if you experience any initial breakout when you first started. I used Retin A for about 6-8 months, it worsened my skin a lot at first (for about 5 months) but then I noticed some improvements, like the whiteheads eventually went away (still breakouts tho!). However, it left my skin so red and scarred, so I got referred to a derm; she prescribed me Accutane and it worked wonderfully! My skin was all cleared up, not flawless tho. Sadly, my acne came back 4-5 months later after a full course of Accutane and now my skin is just as bad as before. Last week, I decided to go see my primary care doctor and talk to her about my acne concern, she then prescribed me the antibiotic gel (clindagel) and 10% benzoyl peroxide lotion wash. I feel like they're only helping a bit. sad.png I also have an appointment with a new derm next month. I am thinking about giving Retin A another shot since I've heard many good things about it but I don't know if it will be worth it. Having acne is so depressing, especially when you're using Retin A...

I'd very much appreciate if you also shared your experience with Retin A or anything related to acne.

Thank you!

It's definitely worthwhile to go back on prescription retinoids. If you were specifically using Retin-A (tretinoin), you could ask your derm to put you on adapalene (e.g., Differin), which is specifically suited for acne and is less irritating. There may be a few adapalene-antibiotic combinations your next derm may prescribe, like with BP or clindamycin. Either way, adapalene is a good option!

MemberMember
(@linhnguyen52193)

Posted : 12/22/2012 6:43 pm

Thank you for the advise. :) I honestly don't like antibiotics. I took like 3-4 different types of antibiotic before Accutane, none of them actually helped... I'm also thinking about asking my derm to put me back on Accutane because I've heard the second round might be more successful. The only thing worries me is that my new insurance won't cover it.

By the way, can I ask what you've used to keep your acne under control? Like you said you're 95% clear, I think that is so great!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/22/2012 9:15 pm

Thank you for the advise. smile.png I honestly don't like antibiotics. I took like 3-4 different types of antibiotic before Accutane, none of them actually helped... I'm also thinking about asking my derm to put me back on Accutane because I've heard the second round might be more successful. The only thing worries me is that my new insurance won't cover it.

By the way, can I ask what you've used to keep your acne under control? Like you said you're 95% clear, I think that is so great!

You're welcome! 🙂

If your skin was just as bad as before Accutane, then a second course would be a good option. If you do go on another round, make sure to take enough fat in foods as it would increase bioavailability and therefore increase effectiveness.

The things that's keeping me 95% clear (for now) are: time, Cetaphil (the oily skin cleanser), CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion PM, and Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment. The worst of the acne is on my back and when my period comes around, but it's much milder now -- when I was 14-15, it was in the definite "moderate" category and I was so embarrassed back then I didn't want to have any pictures taken. Right now I'm trying to get a sulfur mask to reduce the menstrual zits, as they tend to be quite painful.