Notifications
Clear all

Really Scared To Get Off Oral Medication.

MemberMember
(@woah44)

Posted : 12/03/2012 9:25 pm

About 9 months ago, I finished my first course of Accutane. I was really happy with the results, but I still had really deep scaring from even two years ago. Two months after my treatment I began to breakout again (though not as severely), so my doctor put me on Epiduo. I was on Epiduo for about 4 months, and I would say that it had helped a little, but hadn't completely rid me of acne.

I wasn't happy with how things were going so I went to see another derm, but both had insisted that I stay off Accutane. Instead, she put me on Oracea, a smaller dose of doxycycline, used as a anti inflammatory instead of an antibiotic. It's now a month later and I'm really happy with my life again, but I know this is temporary because the dermatologist will try to get me off oral medication and switch me completely to topicals. I'm sick and tired of experimenting with topical medication that takes months to work, and I believe that the only thing that will make me happy is going on a second course of Accutane. How can I convince my doctor to prescribe it to me...I feel like the only way is if I stop using any medication altogether and let my acne become worst again. Thanks for any advice!

MemberMember
(@scampb22)

Posted : 12/03/2012 9:50 pm

You should read my blog.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 12/03/2012 10:08 pm

Talk to your doctor and tell them your concerns and how you are thinking about another accutane course BUT listen to your doctors advice too!

I'm guessing you know how powerful accutane is and the possible risks associated with it.

So at the moment your skin is doing pretty good? Your acne is pretty mild? If that's the case and if I were you, I wouldn't want to purposely make my acne worse and go through all that emotional pain again, just to get accutane. At the end of the day if they think you don't need accutane or think that you'd be better off without it then they're not going to give it to you.

When I took doxy for my acne it got me pretty clear but that didn't last once I stopped taking it. But because you said yours is a very small dose, and your acne had already improved due to accutane, maybe that won't happen for you.

Anyway - like I said before, I think the best thing to do is to talk to your doctor about this and really listen to what they have to say.