Notifications
Clear all

Does Long-Term Use Of Retin-A Age Your Skin?

MemberMember
(@seeking2012)

Posted : 12/03/2012 5:57 pm

I've been using Retin-A (tretinoin) for 13 years. Am I destined for wrinkly skin early in life?

MemberMember
(@asburypark101)

Posted : 12/04/2012 3:26 am

Actually retin-a is also prescribed for wrinkles in older people, so I think retin-a will be good for your skin. Just remember to always use sunblock because the excessive sun exposure will definitely age your skin.

MemberMember
(@seeking2012)

Posted : 12/04/2012 11:26 am

Ok, I have read about it being prescribed for wrinkes too but I was worried because Retin-A works by making your cells die off faster (faster cell turnover), and this sounds like aging to me. I also read a thread somewhere on this site that claimed that Retin-A ages your skin, but I can't seem to find any other information about that.

I just read that women should not use Retin-A if they are pregnant or may become pregnant. Why is that?

MemberMember
(@ringoffire)

Posted : 12/04/2012 12:28 pm

I don't know anything about the aging aspect, but as far as pregnancy is concerned I'd think it'd be related to why Accutane is dangerous to the child of pregnants. Both of the working ingredients in Retin-A and Accutane are Vitamin A derivatives, which in too big doses does damage to the child of a pregnant woman. But this is just my assumption