Notifications
Clear all

Differin Expired?

MemberMember
(@b552299g)

Posted : 12/01/2012 4:22 pm

Hey everyone,

I just finished up accutane and my derm wants me to continue with a retinoid for 6 months after. He prescribed me Veltin which is tretinoin and clindamycin because I've been getting a little bit of follicultis on my chin from shaving and the clindamycin is helpful with that. I really don't want to intruduce 2 varibales though so I'm thinking of using an old tube of differin.

I opened this tube almost 2 years ago, but it doesn't expire for another 6 months. I'm concerned that it wont be good after being exposed to air for 2 years. Do you think it's okay?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 12/01/2012 5:30 pm

Prescription formulas are often more stable than OTC products. The retinoid itself (adapalene) is inherently more stable than standard tretinoin. It could last several months past its expiration date while still maintaining its effectiveness, as these dates are ballpark estimates. Of course, it depends if you've been properly storing your retinoid, too. If it did expire a few years ago then you could expect some decrease in effectiveness, but maybe not detectable to your eye (computer imaging could pick it up, though).

Retinoids + antibacterials are more effective against acne and are more effective than retinoids alone, and if it has been helping your follicultis and acne you should probably continue with that instead of going back to your Differin!