Notifications
Clear all

Guys Is My Dose Too Low?

MemberMember
(@samzeh)

Posted : 11/22/2012 3:06 pm

I'm on 40mg a day and I weigh around 70kg/160 lbs. I've been taking accutane for two weeks now and i'm just wondering if i should ask my derm to up my dose. ive been reading around and apparently 40mg is quite low especially for someone who is 70kilos. I have an appointment on the 20th december; should I wait or just ask to go up? will this dose work? i've put up with this crap for 6 years now, my acne is on my back. My face has allways been clear apart from two pimples a month maybe? all though the past three days i have been having around 5 whiteheads on my nose, i pop them and they just fill back up im really concerned about why this is happening, ive read accutane can give you initial break outs but why on an area i didnt get spots before? i did have a cold last week and was constantly blowing my nose maybe this is what blocked the pores i don't know.

either way i would appreciate some advice.

also one quick question; i've been on the drug for two weeks and my lips are completely normal, how long untill they start to dry?

MemberMember
(@lionfish)

Posted : 11/22/2012 4:45 pm

Don't pop or pick at your skin, especially while on Accutane, it increased the chances of scarring.

I weigh 125kg (although I am very tall), My dermatologist started me on 20mg for 10 weeks, these last 4 weeks I've been on 40mg and I think they will increase the dosage again next week at my appointment.

I'm told they normally use anywhere from 0.5mg to 1mg of Accutane per KG of body weight. So for my weight the dosage is low, but for your weight it is within the normal range. I suspect you need to give it a bit of time, Accutane isn't a quick fix, 2 weeks isn't very long and often times people get an 'initial breakout' and worst acne before it gets better. If it is required your Dr will almost certainly increase the dose in at your next appointment; but only after monitoring for adverse effects and doing blood tests and so on.

I'm 14 weeks in, have mainly back acne and I'm only seeing slight improvements so far....... patience is key.

Also, I get the impression that back / body acne is a bit more difficult to treat and slower to respond than *normal* facial acne. - Although I can't quote any medical authority on that, it is just the conclusion I've come to after reading stuff online and seeing other peoples experiences posted on forums.

MemberMember
(@sg86)

Posted : 11/28/2012 2:28 pm

Hey, I am a female and I am at 120 ish lbs, and I am on 80mg a day. I am not sure what factors go into deciding what dosage you get. I would ask your doctor for sure :)

MemberMember
(@samzeh)

Posted : 12/29/2012 11:05 pm

hey guys, over a month on accutane now and I had an appointment on christmas eve with my doctor, she asked me what my side effects were i told her i havent had any side effects not even chapped lips. She said i should go ahead and up the dose to 60mg/day. after a week on 60 I feel fine still no side effects or dry lips which is good! my acne has been clearing up greatly with the odd pimple on my back that quickly subsides. Hopefully it is like this throughout the rest of my course.

MemberMember
(@samzeh)

Posted : 01/11/2013 2:38 am

urgh nearly two months on the stuff and had little breakouts on my back, and a pimple on my chest and shoulder. Ive read accutane usually works after the first two months is this going to mean that my acne is going to not be completely cleared by accutane? i feel this way as they are still popping up now and then.