Notifications
Clear all

Should I Bump Up My Accutane Dosage?

MemberMember
(@arcadia92)

Posted : 11/22/2012 5:45 am

Hi guys. I'm currently 2 and a half months into accutane. My derm's original plan was for me to take 40mg/day for 9 months, but I am seriously considering bumping up the dosage to 80mg/day from the 4th month onwards so that I can finish the course 3 months early.

So far, the drug has been relatively kind to me. I had a tiny initial breakout, but other than that nothing major has sprouted on my face. However I'm experiencing the other side effects such as dry lips, slight joint/lower back pain, increased muscle fatigue etc.

Reasons I want to finish my course earlier

- I have scars that I want to get rid of, so the earlier I finish my course, the earlier I can fry my face with laser beams

- I'm an active swimmer and the increased muscle fatigue is really annoying

- The other side effects that I'm currently experiencing are fine with me. I don't really care if my lips are peeling

My derm isn't too willing to increase the dosage because "your lips are really dry and it may get worse"...but like I said I don't really care about my lips :P. I'm also kind of worried that new side effects like hair loss or facial redness may appear. My question to those who have increased their dosage halfway through their course: did old side effects worsen significantly and did a lot of new symptoms pop up?

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 11:14 am

My strict advice would be only under doctor's permission. If something goes wrong, you'll need the expertise of a medical professional to help bail you out. This way you can avoid a lecture. That said, we have had members who were on higher doses and the side effects were minimal. You'll get some more informed opinions on this from other members.