Notifications
Clear all

Will I Qualify For Accutane?

MemberMember
(@sarah25)

Posted : 10/16/2012 12:25 am

Hi guys,

I've struggled with adult acne for about 2 years (I'm 22). I've had 2 major breakouts. The first took me almost a full year to get under control/get rid of through the use of minocyclin.

My second breakout came this past July. My body became immune to the minocyclin, so I was put on Epiduo and Yaz. I'm still in the midst of this breakout. I'm not experiencing any new cysts (my acne is on my cheeks) but still major redness all over (in blotches) and at least 1-2 new whiteheads every day. I've been on Epiduo for almost 3 months and if I miss even a day or two of applying the cream, my skin explodes.

I finally have an appointment with my dermatologist in 2 weeks, which has taken me forever to get (I live in Ontario and getting a referral is a ridiculous process here).

I'm going to be interviewing for careers this upcoming March, and as a 22 year old female about to graduate university I'm at my wits end with acne. I feel as though I've tried everything, and my last hope is accutane. I want it desperately.

My only question is, will I qualify for Accutane because I'm not in the worst stage of a breakout? I don't have any cysts anymore, but as I said my skin is still producing new pimples daily and very red. I want to start accutane to prevent my acne from constantly coming back..

Does it sound like I'll qualify? Or does my acne have to be extreme?

Thanks!

Sarah

MemberMember
(@amatsuki)

Posted : 10/17/2012 1:07 pm

Probably. Can't say for Canada, but here in the US, Dermatologists will generally prescribe accutane to anyone who has cystic nodular acne as long they've tried oral antibiotics. They will also prescribe accutane if your acne is persistent and does not go away from any other methods. However, the ipledge system here in the US has makes it harder for dermatologists to prescribe accutane, so if you have very moderate (like 5 or 6 small pimples) they will most definitely not prescribe it to you. Accutane is generally for severe acne so if you are having good results with epiduo they probably won't prescribe it. A picture would be best to tell if you qualify.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 10/17/2012 5:29 pm

I disagree with the above poster. Different derms have different policies so its important to research derms or get a recommendation. I went to a derm that after reviewing my previous attempts at clearing my acne, prescribed accutane on the first visit- she also noticed the marks on my face and the enlarged pores left by past acne. My acne is not majority cystic but i do get cysts and my acne is persistent moderate.

Based on what you told us, i am skeptical that you will be prescribed accutane. You may want to look for or take pictures that show when you have cysts.

Also, what other changes have you made to try and resolve your acne:

diet?

food intolerances?

supplements?

With cystic acne, it sometimes can be addressed with dietary changes.

I have been on this drug twice and i definitely recommend people do other things before trying it as it is harsh on our bodies

Good Luck though and keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@amatsuki)

Posted : 10/19/2012 12:38 am

Sasch 83: Every derm will have different policies but because of ipledge in the US, Derms will not give you a prescription unless you have satisfied one of these conditions 1) Moderate/Severe acne (generally cystic)

2) persistent acne not cleared by antibiotics

3) Are not using Isotetrinoin for Acne purposes. I've heard of some people who are mostly clear and use it for their oily skin since accutane stops prduction of sebum. Even then, they must have tried other means to reduce their oily skin

I'm not sure where you are located Sasch but here in the U.S. patients must be registered through iPledge. If they fail to meet one of these conditions then 90% of the time they will not be prescribed the drug. Prior to iPledge, derms prescribed accutane to patients with mild/moderate acne without these conditions and many people developed side effects. Accutane is a serious drug with serious side effects that is why there are these restrictions on this drug.