Notifications
Clear all

Highly Recommend Sulfur-Based Treatment(S)...

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 07/14/2012 11:07 pm

So many dermatologists plug the latest and "greatest" acne medications, but I want to tell my story about a product ingredient that's quite inexpensive, yet still effective for many people. (Other people have been talking about it on the various sub-forums; be sure to check them out, as well.)

For many years, I used Sulfacet-R--a tinted sulfacetamide/sulfur liquid--on my face. It helped keep my acne in check, though I still took antibiotics as needed and still got cysts/nodules at times. (The cystic/nodular acne started in my early 20's, which seemed unfair since I'd already had acne since age 11.)

Sulfacet-R was discontinued several years ago, around the same time that I left the workplace; so I figured I could survive without it, since not many people saw me on a daily basis. I just plain got lazy about doing anything for my skin.

This past spring, my acne got out of control because I also had ignored my IBS symptoms--which is a polite way of saying that my body developed toxic buildup. I began drinking more water to help flush my body, and--lo and behold--my acne worsened, as toxins rushed to get out through my skin.

Before this breakout period, I had only one noticeable indented scar; since this breakout, I've developed many more indented (mostly rolling) scars. Then it dawned on me: I didn't develop indented scars--even from cysts/nodules--when I used Sulfacet-R daily. (The one deep scar I've long had is due to my first cyst, which I popped the wrong way due to ignorance of cystic acne at the time.)

Recently, I began using a sulfacetamide (10%)/sulfur (5%) cream during the day and the tint-free, generic form of Sulfacet-R at night. My acne and hyperpigmentation have improved by leaps and bounds in the one week that I've again started using these products. And my rolling scars even seem improved in appearance. As an added bonus, the fine lines in my forehead appear to be reducing.

Now I'm wondering, Why on earth did I ever get so lazy about my skin and stop using these products?

P.I.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/15/2012 9:42 am

My 15 year old son is finally seeing an improvement with a 10% sulfur product too (De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment). I was really worried about how bad his acne was getting but I am finally feeling some hope for a change. The only other thing he uses on his skin is strong brewed green tea. He doesn't wash his face, only rinses it in the shower. What, if anything else do you apply to your face in the way of soaps, cleansers or moisturizers?

Within the first several days of using the sulfur, there was a flare up. It was difficult, but he pushed through it and I'm so glad he did.

Congratulations on your improvement!

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/16/2012 8:54 am

So many dermatologists plug the latest and "greatest" acne medications, but I want to tell my story about a product ingredient that's quite inexpensive, yet still effective for many people. (Other people have been talking about it on the various sub-forums; be sure to check them out, as well.)

For many years, I used Sulfacet-R--a tinted sulfacetamide/sulfur liquid--on my face. It helped keep my acne in check, though I still took antibiotics as needed and still got cysts/nodules at times. (The cystic/nodular acne started in my early 20's, which seemed unfair since I'd already had acne since age 11.)

Sulfacet-R was discontinued several years ago, around the same time that I left the workplace; so I figured I could survive without it, since not many people saw me on a daily basis. I just plain got lazy about doing anything for my skin.

This past spring, my acne got out of control because I also had ignored my IBS symptoms--which is a polite way of saying that my body developed toxic buildup. I began drinking more water to help flush my body, and--lo and behold--my acne worsened, as toxins rushed to get out through my skin.

Before this breakout period, I had only one noticeable indented scar; since this breakout, I've developed many more indented (mostly rolling) scars. Then it dawned on me: I didn't develop indented scars--even from cysts/nodules--when I used Sulfacet-R daily. (The one deep scar I've long had is due to my first cyst, which I popped the wrong way due to ignorance of cystic acne at the time.)

Recently, I began using a sulfacetamide (10%)/sulfur (5%) cream during the day and the tint-free, generic form of Sulfacet-R at night. My acne and hyperpigmentation have improved by leaps and bounds in the one week that I've again started using these products. And my rolling scars even seem improved in appearance. As an added bonus, the fine lines in my forehead appear to be reducing.

Now I'm wondering, Why on earth did I ever get so lazy about my skin and stop using these products?

P.I.

Do you experience redness from sulfur, and if so what do you do about it?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 07/24/2012 5:23 pm

My 15 year old son is finally seeing an improvement with a 10% sulfur product too (De La Cruz 10% sulfur ointment). I was really worried about how bad his acne was getting but I am finally feeling some hope for a change. The only other thing he uses on his skin is strong brewed green tea. He doesn't wash his face, only rinses it in the shower. What,

If his skin continues to repeatedly get out of control, I recommend that he start seeing a dermatologist. (My mom didn't take me to one regularly until I was 15, though I needed to start seeing one by age 12.) It was through my then-dermatologist that I started using Sulfacet-R, which, as I've mentioned, is now discontinued. But I've read of another product, Klaron, which is similar to Sulfacet-R, only it doesn't contain sulfur (5%). I've also read that there is a generic version of Klaron, which, of course, helps to save money. smile.png

if anything else do you apply to your face in the way of soaps, cleansers or moisturizers?

I wash my face with Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash ( http://www.purposesk...roductGuideWash ). I realize that some people are against it due to its ingredients, which, apparently, can be harsh for some; I don't seem to have any issues from it.

Congratulations on your improvement!

Thank you. Still, I'm kicking myself for ever stopping the use of a sulfur-based topical medication. As I've said, all of my indented scars--except for one--occurred during the time period that I didn't use such a medication. Ugh...

Do you experience redness from sulfur, and if so what do you do about it?

I believe that a person who is allergic to sulfur-based products can experience redness from it. If you're not allergic, though, you should not experience redness or extreme flakiness. In fact, sulfur is excellent in terms of reducing/removing hyperpigmentation left by acne, as I'm being reminded by my return to using it. I've carried a lot of red marks for the last several years, and they're finally starting to fade since I started using a sulfur-based product a few weeks ago.

I would talk to your dermatologist about your options of sulfur-based topicals you could try. Granted, younger doctors don't seem to know a thing about them, so you may need to do a thorough Google search to find options to select one for your derm. to prescribe. Heh... I'm using this product: http://www.perrigo.c...seachproducts=s , but I'd prefer to use a liquid (rather than a cream) version again.

As I've mentioned in my other post, I hear that Klaron makes a tint-free liquid version of sodium sulfacetamide (10%) that many people seem to really like. You need to apply a small amount of the liquid and lightly rub it in well, so that it blends into the skin better. (I've used a generic, tint-free version of Sulfacet-R in the past, and it makes the skin look pasty white if not blended into the skin.)

All the best,

P.I.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 08/02/2012 10:11 am

We've visited 4 dermatologists and this 5.00 jar of sulfur is more effective than anything they gave us. The redness was temporary, and now it is smooth sailing. I'm with you, sulfur is wonderful. Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/16/2012 10:04 am

We've visited 4 dermatologists and this 5.00 jar of sulfur is more effective than anything they gave us. The redness was temporary, and now it is smooth sailing. I'm with you, sulfur is wonderful. Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

Sorry for dropping the ball on this thread. :/

I've only recently bought the de la Cruz sulfur cream and haven't used it yet. I look forward to seeing how it may improve my skin, which is primarily under control for the time being. But I think sulfur can benefit skin, even if it isn't experiencing any form of breakouts.

I'd been using a generic prescription cream that combines sulfur and sodium sulfacetamide. (It costs me $10 per month, which isn't bad; but $4.89 for a jar of de la Cruz is even better. nod.gif )

P.I.

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 10/24/2012 9:32 pm

I've used several suflur based acne products, none of them had any effect for me.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 10/25/2012 8:56 am

I'd been using a generic prescription cream that combines sulfur and sodium sulfacetamide. (It costs me $10 per month, which isn't bad; but $4.89 for a jar of de la Cruz is even better. nod.gif )

Self-correction: I've decided to continue using the generic prescription cream (10% sodium sulfacetamide/ 5% sulfur), as it dries invisibly on the skin and helps a bit to decease my skin's oiliness. Plus, I was able to get the larger (60 g) tube for $10. This product, made by Perrigo, can be found here: http://www.perrigo.com/business/product.aspx?ID=71. I hope that it can help others, as well. And I hope that Perrigo continues to make it for a long time to come.

Also, there are two other sulfur-based products on Perrigo's Rx page (here: http://www.perrigo.com/business/rxcatalog.aspx ). I thought I'd share a link to the page, in case any of these other products might prove helpful to someone.

I'll still hold on to the de la Cruz Sulfur Cream, though, to spot treat certain areas, as needed.

J.D.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 11/09/2012 9:54 pm

Self-correction: I've decided to continue using the generic prescription cream (10% sodium sulfacetamide/ 5% sulfur), as it dries invisibly on the skin and helps a bit to decease my skin's oiliness. Plus, I was able to get the larger (60 g) tube for $10. This product, made by Perrigo, can be found here: http://www.perrigo.c...uct.aspx?ID=71. I hope that it can help others, as well. And I hope that Perrigo continues to make it for a long time to come.

Also, there are two other sulfur-based products on Perrigo's Rx page (here: http://www.perrigo.c.../rxcatalog.aspx ). I thought I'd share a link to the page, in case any of these other products might prove helpful to someone.

I'll still hold on to the de la Cruz Sulfur Cream, though, to spot treat certain areas, as needed.

J.D.

The sulfur cleared up my son's skin really well, but then all of a sudden it stopped working so he had to switch to salicylic acid, aloe and witch hazel. It's wasn't perfect but very acceptable. He is now trying Retin-A to help with stubborn areas. But the sulfur cleared up some pretty nasty acne and I'm still grateful for it and I think he'll be able to go back to it in the future if needed.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/27/2012 1:02 pm

P.I.

First off are you a guy or a girl?

Secondly, I would be hesitant to experiment with yet another cream/gel being as I've already tried so many with little success (i.e. Differin, Evoclin, Aczone, Ziana, Tazorac, etc.)

Also, I'm on Solodyn (115 mg) and I weigh 165 lbs. This is a much higher dosage than what is recommended for my size but my doctor said this should be fine. Recently, I've started having weird abdominal pain like in my sides. I'm not sure if its from the Solodyn though. I've been on this medicine since May so I would think its odd if I'm just now developing symptoms or a reaction.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 12/27/2012 2:53 pm

First off are you a guy or a girl?

I'm female but am unsure how/why that info. factors into things. ;)

...I would be hesitant to experiment with yet another cream/gel being as I've already tried so many with little success (i.e. Differin, Evoclin, Aczone, Ziana, Tazorac, etc.)

You needn't experiment with anything you don't want to; no worries or pressure. And, of course, you never want to be using too many products at once, even if you apply one in the AM and one in the PM. But if your skin has achieved little healing from many medications, maybe it's time to consider trying a sulfur-based one. (I don't know if sulfur meds. prevent breakouts--at least not cysts and nodules, which form far beneath the epidermis--but I think that it helps heal existing breakouts and help prevent bona-fide scars. But sulfur has helped heal various skin conditions for thousands of years.)

I'm on Solodyn (115 mg) and I weigh 165 lbs. This is a much higher dosage than what is recommended for my size but my doctor said this should be fine. Recently, I've started having weird abdominal pain like in my sides. I'm not sure if its from the Solodyn though. I've been on this medicine since May so I would think its odd if I'm just now developing symptoms or a reaction.

I'm unfamiliar with potential side effects from Solodyn, but I think that you should tell your doctor about the pain in your sides--even though you've been taking the antibiotic since May. (Years ago, I tried the lowest possible dose of Accutane and had to stop taking it after a week due to pain in my abdominal muscles.)