Notifications
Clear all

Moisturizing With Ziana? What's The Best Way?

MemberMember
(@flutterby27)

Posted : 12/20/2011 1:14 am

Hey there, quick question about Ziana and moisturizing.

Right now I'm using Ziana every other night as was prescribed by my derm. I'm not thrilled with the results of Ziana so far but it definitely is more gentle than the other topical retinoids I've used in the past. I've been using it for about a month and a half (I know it can take up to 6 months to really work) but I'm starting accutane in a little less than a month from now so my biggest goal for the Ziana is for it to continue to purge my skin so that it doesn't just explode on accutane. I've read that retinoids or antibiotics can help with that IB, and even if it's just a teensy bit of help, I'll take it!

Thing is, despite being fairly gentle, my skin still peels a lot on Ziana and has dried out in some places undesirably. Some of the dryness seems to actually making my acne worse, like it's clogging up my pores with all the dead dry skin. I moisturize with Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer after washing every morning, and every other night (when I don't use Ziana), but I'm wondering if it's ok to moisturize before or after applying Ziana, too? And which is better: Washing, drying, moisturizing, waiting a bit and then applying Ziana... OR washing, drying, applying Ziana, and then waiting to moisturize until a while later.

I've been under the impression that Ziana would work best if it was literally the first and only thing to touch your skin after it's been washed gently and dried but I'd love to know if there's another way! I'd also love any recommendations you might have on better non-pore clogging moisturizers that don't break the bank and don't make skin oily...

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!

MemberMember
(@roxanol)

Posted : 12/21/2011 6:50 pm

Wait 10-15 minutes after washing (1 hour if you apply a moisturizer right after washing) before applying Ziana.

I've heard good things about Cetaphil, Cerave (which I currently use), Complex 15, and, though I hate to say it, Neutrogena. None are particularly pricey, and, in my experience, have been able to stymie the extent to which my skin peels.

Good luck. smile.png

MemberMember
(@flutterby27)

Posted : 12/22/2011 1:55 am

Thanks! I'm getting worried about how dry/peeling/flakey my skin is getting while using the Ziana because I KNOW the accutane will dry me out so if my skin is already this dry and irritated going into it, that can't make for a very smooth beginning.

Today I bought Purpose daily moisturizer with SPF cause I've read about it on here, as well as Eucerin Redness Relief Soothing Night cream to put on the really rough dry patches. Hopefully those won't break me out but will be strong enough to moisturize. My current moisturizer had salicylic acid in it which I think was causing it to be a little less effective. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely give them a try if my new purchases don't work out!

MemberMember
(@stephcc)

Posted : 08/12/2014 8:08 pm

Yes, I have been using Purpose moisturzier since high school. It's what my derm recommended. Also just started Ziana and am experiencing peeling and a LOT of itching along my jaw where my acne is bad. What about you? Any itchiness?? Also, I did Accutane TWICE but still struggle with acne at 25, so I really hope it helps you. You will peel and feel dry, but just moisturize with cocoa butter/lotion and don't forget your lips! You will be ok and get through it!!